Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing brake fluid

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi all,

The brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years, and mine needs to be done. The problem is my pads still have a lot of life left in them, and I don't want to pay too much for labour.

Basically - is changing the brake fluid a hugely difficult job, and requires the remove of the calipers, rotors etc?

No, I don't want to do it myself - I just don't want to have to pay the mechanic now to change the fluid + loads of labour when I can just hold off maybe 6 months until I need new pads (then get it all done in the one hit).

If it's not that much to do (besides bleeding the system anyway), I'll just get a local mechanic to do it now... anyone know what kind of cost I'd be looking at?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You don't have to remove anything to change the brake fluid, you just undo the bleeding nipples on the calipers and keep pumping the brakes while adding new fluid. Keep pumping until clean fluid comes out. You will also need to bleed the brakes, but if you are going to get someone to do it don't worry about it. Basically all I'm saying is there isn't much involved so it shouldn't cost much.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Awesome! Thanks for that!

I've been ripped off in the past for things like this... so I'm trying to get it all done cheaply, but only doing the bits that only need doing. :)

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Well I'm finally going to get my brakes done.... but I have no idea what fluid they use. Since it only gets changed every two years, what's the better fluid to stick in?

I was looking at supercheap auto today, and that have Castrol Dot 3, Dot 4 and something called "Super Dot 4", which is still only around $9 for a little bottle. Is all I need one bottle?

Is that a better fluid to put in? I'll buy it and just give it to the mechanic to use...

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
You should buy the Castrol Dot 4 brake fluid.....

I'd purchase 2 bottles as you will need to flush and replace all the fluid in the braking system.

I'm sure your mechanic will already have this.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Just the standard Dot 4, and not the "Super" Dot 4?

I'll check with the mechanic as to what he uses (or can put in for me) - I'm switching mechanics to a small little shop my girlfriend gets her car done at (very cheaply).

I'm sick of being ripped off by the bigger chains (Holden, K-Mart etc etc).... just getting minor service done + change of brake fluid. :)

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Yes, just the standard Dot 4....

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
gogoboygareth said:
Just the standard Dot 4, and not the "Super" Dot 4?

I'll check with the mechanic as to what he uses (or can put in for me) - I'm switching mechanics to a small little shop my girlfriend gets her car done at (very cheaply).

I'm sick of being ripped off by the bigger chains (Holden, K-Mart etc etc).... just getting minor service done + change of brake fluid. :)
Try doing it yourself,oil changes and brake fluid changes are novice at very least.You will save by learning to do things yourself,it's like riding a bike.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I couldn't believe that I used to pay someone to change my oil until someone showed me how easy it was.

Next in line for me is the brake fluid also. Will look into my crystal ball (otherwise known as a workshop manual) for guideance.

How do you tell when the fluid is due for change anyway? Being the second owner of this car means I know nothing of what has been changed before my ownership of the car.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
myberlina said:
I couldn't believe that I used to pay someone to change my oil until someone showed me how easy it was.

Next in line for me is the brake fluid also. Will look into my crystal ball (otherwise known as a workshop manual) for guideance.

How do you tell when the fluid is due for change anyway? Being the second owner of this car means I know nothing of what has been changed before my ownership of the car.
if your not sure just replace it soon and for a VX V6 the brake fluid needs to be done every 2 or 2.5 years....have a look in your owner/service manual.

do it now and know that its done...brake fluid is cheap and if you do it yourself its only a couple of hours of your time