Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing brake pads

PKM09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
I do most of the work on my cars myself but have not changed pads on my VE before. I have been advised that these brakes are different to change than the older models. I have been unable to locate a VE manual. Can anyone tell me how to or point me in the direction of a step by step guide?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
From memory they were identical to the previous models, 2 bolts on the caliper and out they come.

The only tricky bit I found is the 2 metal clips (you'll know what I mean when you get the pads out) sitting at both ends - the technical description I believe is brake pad retainers, basically take both ends out and bend them so they fit nice and snug which will prevent them from rattling like crazy when you hit bumps.

It took me many goes at this before I got it right but in the end I found it was much easier to leave the caliper on there and simply remove the cover I guess you could call it which sits over the pads.

I did put something up about the clips, I'll find them and update my post.

Found it - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...06/88102-rattle-caliper-since-pad-change.html

In the above thread you can see I removed the complete assembly, this is overkill as I found out...eventually, you simply only need to remove the part which covers the pads which I mentioned previously.

Once you have the wheel off, open ended spanner, ring spanner and a flat head screwdriver (used to put the tabs back into place for the clip once the new pads are installed) is all that's required.

PKM09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
completed the job and surprising easy once you know what is required-Appreciate the help!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
one of mine is rattling post pad change will have a good look tomorrow.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Take the clips out and bend them, when popping them back in make sure there's a bit of resistance there that way you know you have a nice snug fit.

If you can easily move them in any direction even a little bit they will rattle, amazing how it can make the car sound like it's 40 years old!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yeah all fixed.