Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Cluster light colour?

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Helelleleooe

SV6 is red cluster lights..

how hard is it to change to any other colour, do companies make other colours

thanks youuuuuse

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can change the LEDs used to light up the cluster.

You can also change the LCD illumination colour using the same technique (I.E. change the LEDs on the board behind the LCD panels to the colour that you want)....
The only thing on the SV6 cluster that is difficult to change the colour of are the needles. (They have the red backing on them, so really you can only use RED illumination on them)....

The LEDs can be bought from eBay pretty cheap (around $10 for enough to do a couple of clusters)
The best colour I have found is white, as it makes the LCD and cluster very easy to read at night.

The following page show what is involved (including cluster removal and disassembly).
It also shows an Omega cluster with a white LCD panel, and blue cluster illumination, as well as a HSV cluster that was in the process of a conversion, from red to white illumination..

Hope this helps
www.carmodder.com • Changing the Cluster Illumination for the Holden VE Commodore

Reactions: Min

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Here's mine:

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

It used to be red. This was done by phreddy from ASR Electronics. See ASR in the sponsor's section of this forum.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Hi,

I had the same concern. I put up with it for a while in my MY09 SV6, but eventually upgraded earlier than normal to a Series II MY11 SV6 for the better cluster and other improvements.

However, the trip computer part of the cluster was still red, and for my aging eyes, almost unreadable due flaring. In the end, I have recently upgraded to an MY11 Calais cluster, which has all white lighting, including the trip computer. The added benefit was the improved functionality of the three window trip computer. The upgrade seems simple MY11 Calais cluster to MY11 SV6, but the change is much more challenging for pre-MY11 models or HSV clusters.

I reported my change on the following link.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ced-series-ii-sv6-cluster-calais-cluster.html

Just another option.

Cheers.

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Holy ####in **** davey, that is some really hay nerve, fishing sinker ****, Mr Bro

really wow i would like that. ill look into it another day maybe tomorrow (today, its 1 AM)

thanks for posting pics of being helpful, couple thousand words of explanation there, thanks bro :)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Holy ####in **** davey, that is some really hay nerve, fishing sinker ****, Mr Bro

I take it that means good? lol

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
HAhaha yes its GOOD!! i was just high

But seriously thats mad.

Zerone!! bro, i have done surface mount soldering before, and im a good solderer but dont wanna take apart my interior and sit there with a solder and a box full of tiny SMD LED's LOOOOOOOOL

Thanks for the help boiz, it can be done! but i think ill look more into the Phreddy guy, or find someone with a different colour who wants to swap.

other question... Say i find someone who wants to swap, is the compatibility the same (mainly with the cluster) im sure the radio and AC controll panel is all the same, just lights

CHEEERS

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Nah, you dont want to swap...
The cluster and the Radio Fascia are programmed to work with your car (and only your car)...
(The Cluster is specifically programmed to your individual car, with the VIN#, transmission options, and lots of other little things that make difficult to change)...
It is definitely possible (I.E. you will need a $30 eeprom programmer to do it), and you will really need you original cluster at the same time to pull information off, but it definitely can be, and has been done before...
(Im running with a triple LCD E2 HSV cluster that I programmed myself with an EEPROM programmer, and another member msenj is running a triple LCD Calais cluster on her Omega)...
www.carmodder.com • Programming Cluster EEPROMs for the Holden VE Commodore

The Radio fascia is much easier, (There are only 6 bytes that need to be changed on the EEPROM), however, you will need a different EEPROM programmer to the one above)....
www.carmodder.com • Programming the Colour LCD HVAC / Radio for the Holden VE Commodore

Some thing to keep in mind....
1) If you want to go the swap route, you may as well buy / upgrade to a suitable cluster / radio, and program these yourself, as I dont know anyone that will be willing to go through the pain / expense to simply swap these parts over. (Unless it meant a free upgrade for them)...
2) If you are going to send the parts away for changing the LEDs, your car will throw some DTCs (Specifically for the instrument cluster) if you attempt to drive it without the cluster fitted. So that kinda means no car until you get your cluster back...
(I.E. you would really want to see phreddy with the car, drop it off to get the conversion done, and pick it up when its ready)...
All the other components you could ship off to be done though...
3) If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of changing the LED colours on these things, it may be an idea to upgrade them first,
(I.E. Upgrade the cluster to a triple window version, and the radio to a Colour LCD version)...
That way, if you wanted white illumination, you could go for Calais bits, and the LED colours would have already been done for you...

Hope this helps..

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
i have done surface mount soldering before, and im a good solderer but dont wanna take apart my interior and sit there with a solder and a box full of tiny SMD LED's LOOOOOOOOL

You can unplug all the parts, take them to your workbench and do it there... I'm pretty sure that's how everyone else has done it (myself included). ;)