Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing coolant in VE series 2

swmcl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 sedan - ex police
Hi,

Simple question and simple task - or so I thought ...

Pulling the lower radiator hose off and taking the filler cap off released some fluid but not much. I'd like to release a lot more!

Is there anyone who has done this simple job willing to let a few uninitiated into the secrets?

Cheers,

Steve

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There's no secret drain plug that does the whole lot sadly, though on the series 1 and probably 2 there's a blue plug on the bottom of the rad that lets you drain it without removing the hose. After you drained it as you did if you want to flush it all out you just have to fill it with water, run it, and drain it a few times until it drains clear then top it up with the right amount of straight coolant to get the mix right with the amount of water that's already in the system.
Don't forget your heater is full of coolant as well so it's impossible to drain it completely. Pretty sure a Holden dealer would use some sort of flushing system to do this..?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
then top it up with the right amount of straight coolant to get the mix right with the amount of water that's already in the system.

Any tips on how to get this right ? Since you say there is still water in the system that we cant fully empty? Any idea how much water is left in the system or is it once you finish the last flush of water as much as you can, you are safe to just go with 50/50mix?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Do make sure to use RED coolant as is in the VEs from new.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
There's no secret drain plug that does the whole lot sadly, though on the series 1 and probably 2 there's a blue plug on the bottom of the rad that lets you drain it without removing the hose. After you drained it as you did if you want to flush it all out you just have to fill it with water, run it, and drain it a few times until it drains clear then top it up with the right amount of straight coolant to get the mix right with the amount of water that's already in the system.
Don't forget your heater is full of coolant as well so it's impossible to drain it completely. Pretty sure a Holden dealer would use some sort of flushing system to do this..?

This is exactly what i did...
Drain coolant on bottom plug on the radiator.
Fill with water.
Repeat 2 more times.
Once drained 3rd time fill with 5 L concentrate of dexcool coolant from holden.

When i drained it 3rd time the water was almost completely clear.

Think about it this way

First time you do it you coolant to water ratio is 25% as from the factory it's 50/50
Second time it's 12.5% coolant left
The third time it's 6.25% coolant vs water ratio

You get the point

I basically drove my car for 1 day after each drain/refill

From memory only 1/2 of total coolant capacity drains when you undo the drain plug

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I basically drove my car for 1 day after each drain/refill

So you took like 3 days to do the flush? Any reason why you did it this way?

i was planning on just running in neutrel for say 5-10mins before flushes? Would that be efficient?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So you took like 3 days to do the flush? Any reason why you did it this way?

i was planning on just running in neutrel for say 5-10mins before flushes? Would that be efficient?

Yes, 2 days

2 reasons

The thermostat does not open up until it reaches full operating temperature so it will not mix plain water with rest of the coolant

Also, bad idea to add cool water to hot system.

I basically drained it Friday evening when the car was cool and added cool water.
Took it for 1/2 hour drive and left it overnight.
Drained it in the morning, topped with water, went for a good drive and left it.

When it was cool on Saturday afternoon i drained it and added clean water again....took it for a drive and left it to cool

Drained it on sunday morning and added 5 litres of concentrated coolant and went for 1/2 drive...

I also completely emptied overflow tank and filed it with 50/50 mix in the end

I know it seems like 3 day job but in reality you will only spend 1hour max to flush and top up 3 times + some driving

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
You run the heater don`t you?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
You run the heater don`t you?

yes, but I believe on VE coolant constantly circulates through the heather core...
I remember reading something about it not long ago...

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Do make sure to use RED coolant as is in the VEs from new.

When i took my car for its first service, as you do when you buy a new car (i think) :) (I only owned it for about a week so didnt know much about it) they also put the green stuff in?

My question is doing a flush like above good enough to change it to the red coolant? Or is there other components that need checking now? I read mixing them is not a good idea?