Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Changing Engine mounts ECOTEC V6 (THE EASY WAY)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A couple of things, This write up is based on what looks like a VT-VY model which has more room between the chassis rails compared to the earlier VS so it is a little easier as there is more room to work but it's a good write up.

The other issue I see is that you have the axle stands under the sway bar. Not really recommended to use as hard points.

I've had to use a rattle gun to get the nuts of the mounts on the odd occasion.

spectacle43

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Sedan V6 3.8
Thanks Bowen ,saved my bacon, the piece of Rope made life easy!
Local dealer quoted $600.Total
Cost $79-00 post free.
I

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
hi all just did mine , did most off what said , took just under 2hr to do both , the drivers side I followed but what I did with the right side (passenger side) is just as listed remove the air compressor bye taking the 2 15mm nuts of at front and I used a 1/2 inch 1/4 inch socket with a 1 1/2 inch extension with the adapter to 3/8 socket to remove the bolt on the side. and to refit the mount do as mentioned but instead of busting ya balls to get the bottom holes to line up , just lower the jack so the stud bolts sit on the sub frame then just take the weight bye jacking it then use a flat bar and hammer hit the bottom of stud at the bottom with no thread on the mount u see it move towards the hole and the weight of the motor will stop it from moving back on ya , good luck its very easy to do , cost me 32 bucks for 2 new transgold engine mount of ebay including postage , saved 450 bucks that I was quoted very happy. thanks for this info was very helpful.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
nice guide.

i love how you say to make a diagram before you do it.
i wonder how many forget that.

oh and regarding that i had a few mechanics suggest to me.
if its dusty enough draw it in the dust (on like the radiator, or bonnet roof etc)
thats if you dont have a pen and paper handy =P

My suggestion is that before you start ANY work get yourself the basic Gregory's Workshop manual for your model car. They used to be $30 at Kmart but nowadays as "Kame A Part" sells nothing your local Supercheap has them for $49.95

These manuals show the belt diagrams plus have handy hints how to remove door locks, clips, change compressors, tail lights, dashboards, you name it etc etc saving you heaps of time and breakages. If you are so tight that you won't pay a mechanic at least do yourself a favour and buy a book.....

MyVSWagonRocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Esteem Wagon
Mate, you are a bloody life saver! Still a hard job but it was my first time. Saved a lot of stress

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
can i use ramps instead of stands to get the job done?

Yes you can, done it on 3 Commodores. You will need a jack to lift and support the engine though.

VSB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Supercharged Calais and Vr Berlina
Recently got my mine replaced at the mechanics, already had the parts, labour cost $250 which was pretty good I thought, But what a huge difference my VX feels like a new care, no more vibration through the gearstick, steering or clunking sounds. Best coin I've spent on my car

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
No ones mentioned if the supercharged engine bay is much different or a little tighter, I'm attempting it so ill let you guys know Ive got a Vt obviously. Im not the strongest of guys so I'm going to try with some heat on the bolt with a torch and if not ill by a breaker bar if i have too. See how i go , have to do bushings and radiator and will do transmission change while I'm at it so a busy few days or weeks! Love the guide this will help me so much!!!!:beer chug:

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Jest following up I had to use a long Crow bar almost 1.5 meters to push it in place on one side, the mounts seem a lot higher. Took a long time never again. Thanks For the tips along the way everyone.