Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing engines vz 6 cyl

05red vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
is it possible to change from the leo v6 to the ly7 high out put 190 kw engine . is it an easy swap, or whats involved .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The swap is as complex as a V8 swap. You’ll need to swap computers, engine looms, motor.
You keep same front shocks and K frame so you got that going for you.

You may need to swap gear box to suit the ecu set up too?

LY7 engine management also requires paddle shift on a VZ so new clock spring too.

Sprint78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VE SS,
The swap is as complex as a V8 swap. You’ll need to swap computers, engine looms, motor.

LY7 engine management also requires paddle shift on a VZ so new clock spring too.

Hi Fu, Can you please clairfy for me whether a 10H7L is interchangeable with any other 10H7 ie 10H7A or 10H7C/

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Not sure about the engine prefixes. What differentiates the engines is the 190KW engines have the motor in the back of the intake manifold, they have 4 cam sensors and 4 cam actuators mounted on the front.

175kw engines fitted to lower spec models have two cam sensors, two actuators and no inlet motor on the manifold.

All other sensors are more or less in the same location. What might differ is an alloytec from a VE might need coils and sensors swapped with the VZ ones for the looms to plug up.

Sprint78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VE SS,
Not sure about the engine prefixes. What differentiates the engines is the 190KW engines have the motor in the back of the intake manifold, they have 4 cam sensors and 4 cam actuators mounted on the front.

175kw engines fitted to lower spec models have two cam sensors, two actuators and no inlet motor on the manifold.

All other sensors are more or less in the same location. What might differ is an alloytec from a VE might need coils and sensors swapped with the VZ ones for the looms to plug up.

Thanks Fu. I'm aware of the difference between the LEO (175kw) engines and the LY7's (190kw) but when you ring around the LY7's are identified as engine number 10H7(something)- and then some more numbers. Ours is a 10H7L etc. but I've been told there's 10H7A, 10H7B, 10H7C, 10H7L ETC. I'm just concerned that I have to match exactly the last letter i.e A, B L etc.