Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing front speakers in a VN

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
In the front dash of my VN i've got 2 4" speakers with 3 little wings and im not sure if i can put normal 4" speakers with out the little wings, help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
The easyest thing to do is put speakers in the front doors, but if you like them in the dash then all 4" speakers should have the little "wing" things.

T

Tony

chop of the 4th wing on your new speakers and bend the three remaining wings to fit into the factory spots. Thats what i did anyway. by the way, i know i have them, but 4 inches are a waste of money unless you get cross overs for them as well, they distort way too easily and are useless without the crossovers.

T

Tony

http://www.carstereo.com/help/calc_cr.cfm

have a look here

and putting in the crossovers you should put them in parallel i think. I havent done it yet, so you should ask someone who knows what they are doing.

Also have a look here
http://www.passivecrossovers.com/

But you can buy the crossovers from Dick Smith, just ask for High band crossovers, or tell them you want something that filters out all the bass and they should be able to help.

T

Tony

no idea mate, you'd have to have a talk to the guys down in dick smith ;)

T

Tony

actually, i just remembered all this info ;), you can wire the capacitor in series with the positive wire for both. Go to dicksmith and ask for a capacitor that.
Try looking at getting a 150uF Capacitor and wiring that in, it will lessen the volume by about 6dB slope in the 250-300hz and below range. You can try with the 800hz cap but it may be too much.
The thing is with capacitors, they lower the volume by 6dB per octave, so at 300hz its still loud, when you go to 100hz it lowers it by 6dB, so you may notice no difference. So buy both and see how you go mate. Give us a holler if you need anymore help.

SuperStar

Reaction score
chevy_big_block_bro:

If you dont mind spending the little extra money for better sound quality id go the 6inch - 6 1/2inch speakers. The easiest way to do this is go out and buy a set of VS door trims (or just the Door pocket - where the speakers sit in the vs) and place that on your doors. VN - VS fit straight on. That way you are not cutting any extra holes in your doors, and you got a good 6inch speaker. (if only i knew this before i did my sound install :b:)

If you wanted you could go splits, in which case you place the speaker cone in the door, and the tweeter up where you had your old shitty 4"s. Place the splitter box up under the dash on either sides.... There isnt much to it. ;)

With splitter box's you are suposed to run the speaker wire from the headunit to the splitter box, then wire up the tweeter to the box, then wire up the woofer cone to the box as well.

Hope this was useful.

Charles.