Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing front springs Vs Ute

spotamous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 5spd
hey guys, just wanting to know what is the best way to replace my front springs, me and a mate pulled the whole strut out the other day and put clamps and all on it and we barley just got the top nut off and under that nut was another nut but we couldnt even budge it, so we put it all back in. And would i need to buy new bearings or anything?
Cheers Guys :)

jesse_lankey

what to put here?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 Ute
Are you going to lower it? You should replace your shocks if your going to change the springs, I had the same problem with mine, you could take it down to a tyre place and get them to undo it with air tools, however what i did was grind a **** out of it until it came off but when it brakes theres a lot of force behind the spring so be careful, but if the old springs are lowered you wont that problem. Or you could clamp the top of the strut upside down in a vice with your mate holding it and use a spanner with some steel pipe on it for extra torque

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
WOW, Do NOT cut that bolt off!!!

You need a pair of spring compressors, compress the spring so all tension is off the shock to strut top. These bolts will then be able to be un done, they are tight, and a rattle gun is best to get it off, but it is possible by hand but a lot of effort.
As said, you should replace your shockers with the spring, unless you know the shockers are relatively new. New bearings will depend on the condition of the current ones, but it cant hurt to have a set handy just in case.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
People seem to think that changing car springs can be done any old how you like,If you dont have the proper tools,mainly a good set of spring compressors and a manual to follow,you should not attempt it.People have been hit in the head and killed before from springs suddenly flying out when removing them incorrectly.I guess its the same with a car thats supported just by a jack.You should never get under a car only supported by a jack,heaps of people have died from doing this,but I guess some people never learn and will still do it.A lot of people think "it wont happen to me".Yeah,right.

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
Honestly pay someone else to do it. I did it myself it wasnt so bad but if it ever needs doing agian ill be paying someone else. New strut top bearings are a good idea. Its a nice suprise to take the bolt of and bearings fall out everywhere...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's easier to undo that nut while the car is still on the ground. You don't need to undo all the nuts that hold the support to the strut tower. Undo the first nut, then remove the plate, then crack the next nut. Then you can jack the car up and remove the strut, then using spring compressors, compress the spring and remove the nut altogether. Take notice of how each washer and component comes off, as they have to go back in the same order and the right way around.

Do not do what that arse clown up there ^^^ suggested and grind the nut off.....

spotamous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 5spd
cheers guys, yeah we compressed the springs so the spring was able to move around but just couldnt get that second nut of, ive got some bearings and top plate on order and i might as well pick up a workshop manual i reckon