Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing front wheel bearing hubs

bundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hi
I just joined up here.
A few weeks ago I found a thread here on replacing front hubs.
I just did a search and can't find it.
Is there any torque specs for caliper bolts and hub bolts?
Should I use any 243 loctite on anything?
thanks

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Calaper guide pin bolt's(F&R) 30 to 34nm
Front calaper mounting bracket bolt's: Step 1: 32 to 37. Step 2: tighten an additional 45deg.

Front Hub bolt's: 100 to 115nm.
I think that was what you were after?

I have never used loctite on any of them, I have never had an issue..

Sorry, Not too clear, But should help..
2012-07-12 14.51.51.jpg2012-07-12 14.51.34.jpg2012-07-12 14.52.21.jpg

bundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
thanks mate, that was what I was after

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From Holden VT Service Manual:

REMOVE
1. Raise front of vehicle and support on safety stands.
2. Remove wheel cover (steel wheels) or centre cap (alloy wheels).
3. Mark relationship of wheel to hub or brake disc. Remove wheel attaching nuts and remove wheel.
4. Remove brake caliper anchor plate retaining bolts and washers, lift caliper assembly from brake disc. Position caliper in such a way that no strain is placed on the brake hose. If necessary, tie caliper to the suspension spring with a piece of wire.
THE CALIPER IS NOT TO HANG BY BRAKE HOSE.
5. Remove brake disc from the wheel bearing hub.
NOTE:
For vehicles equipped with ABS, disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector from the steering knuckle. To do this, use a 5 mm Allen key (or socket), remove the set screw and then, holding the cable retaining bracket, twist and gently pull on the sensor connector end. Don't lose the sealing Oring.
6. Using a commercially available 10 mm Allen key socket and a suitable socket bar, loosen each of the three bolts holding the hub to the steering knuckle.
NOTE 1: For the front lower hub bolt, turn wheel outwards to provide clearance between the ball joint rivet and the hub bolt.
NOTE 2: If the Allen key socket is too long to fit into the front, upper hub bolt, then the lower strut to steering knuckle nut will need to be removed and the bolt withdrawn.
7. If the hub is a tight fit to the knuckle, it may be necessary to loosen the three loosened bolts and tap on the heads. DO NOT STRIKE THE HUB
8. Remove the three bolts and then the hub from steering knuckle.
9. If removal of the brake shield is necessary, drill the heads from the three rivets securing the shield to the steering knuckle support.
10. After removal of the shield, carefully drill out the remainder of the rivets, using a suitable sized, sharp drill.

REINSTALL
Installation of the front wheel hub and brake disc is the reverse of removal procedures, except for the following points:

All Models:
1. If the brake shield has been removed, install three, common pop rivets, using a commercially available pop rivet gun.
NOTE: Install the first rivet in the brake shield hole with the round hole. This will ensure that the clearance to brake caliper is correct.
2. Before installing the hub, inspect both mating surfaces to make sure that they are clean and free from burrs that could prevent correct alignment of both parts, once installed.
3. Prior to installation, it is also vital that the sealing O-ring located around the mounting flange, is checked to ensure its serviceability. Failing to adequately seal the hub to steering knuckle interface, will cause water to be drawn into the cavity in the steering knuckle, during the normal heating and cooling cycle of vehicle operation.

Without ABS:
4a. Install the hub assembly to the steering knuckle.
5a. Install the three attaching bolts and tighten to the correct torque specification.
FRONT HUB TO STEERING KNUCKLE ATTACHING BOLT TORQUE SPECIFICATION 100 - 115 Nm NOTE: The three hub attaching bolts are microencapsulated with thread sealant and are not to be re-used more than three times. If in doubt, the bolts should be replaced.

With ABS:
4b. Carefully align the sensor connection on the hub, with the hole in the steering knuckle, then install the three hub attaching bolts and tighten to the correct torque specification. FRONT HUB TO STEERING KNUCKLE ATTACHING BOLT TORQUE SPECIFICATION 100 - 115 Nm 5b. Fit the wheel speed sensor connector, then install the cable retaining bracket set screw and tighten to specification.
SENSOR CABLE RETAINING SCREW TORQUE SPECIFICATION 6 - 14 Nm

All Models:
6. If removal of the lower strut to steering knuckle bolt was necessary, the bolt and nut, must be replaced with new parts and tightened to the correct torque specification.
STEERING KNUCKLE TO STRUT ATTACHING BOLTS & NUTS TORQUE SPECIFICATION Stage 1 85 Nm, Stage 2 100 Nm, Stage 3 Turn through 90
7. Reinstall brake disc and brake caliper, tightening attaching bolts to specification.
BRAKE CALIPER ANCHOR PLATE RETAINING BOLTS TORQUE SPECIFICATION 80 - 90 Nm then turn through 40- 50
8. Reinstall road wheel, aligning the marks made prior to removal and secure with the attaching nuts.
9. Remove jack stands and lower vehicle.
10. Tighten road wheel attaching nuts to correct torque specification.
ROAD WHEEL ATTACHING NUT TORQUE SPECIFICATION 110 - 140 Nm
11. Refit wheel cover/centre cap.