Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Level 2 Cluster face (Speedo)

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi guys,

I want to change the colour of my Cluster face from standard to white on my VS. The temp control and transmission selector are easy enough. I've read some posts on removing the dash but once out is there a trick to changing the face. My concerns are how do I open the unit up. Is there a trick to not damaging the speedo needle/fuel and temp needles :confused:

Last edited:

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
When you have taken the speedo cluster out, look down the bottom on the back and there should be 4 small screws that hold the bottom of the clear face attached to the main unit. Once these are removed the top of the face is held in by two clips that easily pop back out when you push down the little catch on them. Then you need to remove the needles which on some speedos will almost fall off whereas on others will be extremely tight. Take particular note of exactly where the tacho and speedo needles line up so you can put them back in the exact same spot to keep them accurate (dont worry about the fuel and temp gauge as there is a little flat spot on the shaft so they can only go back in one place). Carefully then pry the needles off with something like a cuttlery fork or even a small flat bladed screwdriver but dont rush as they are easily damaged. Once all the needles are off you will see that the cluster face is in three sections and held in by small screws (about 6 from memory). Remove these screws and the face will now come off. Installation is the reverse of this procedure with particular care when putting the needles back on, just make sure they are properly lined up and then push them on with moderate pressure. Hope that helps.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Cander24.....Legend!

I have a VR Series II - (i.e. Level 2 cluster)

i have both a White face instrument cluster background and white heater/temp background on order.

if you like i'll let you know how it goes and let you know Radarboy

cheers

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Cander24 thanks that helps alot. Ja2z I haven't ordered the stuff yet but will on pay day. Did you buy yours off ebay from the bloke in Queensland or from somewhere else...What did you pay ????.

I'll wait for your reply after having a go at it when your parts come in. Best of luck send a pic when your done or better still take some pic's whilst your doing the changeover.

Rangdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Acclaim
So how do you change the colour then??????

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
So how do you change the colour then??????

You need to buy a new cluster background card to replace the original one. I know Emtech Automotive do them and there's also a few sellers on ebay that make them.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
Hi Lads,

Update... I've installed the heater plate and the cluster background... they look Awesome!!!

all i'll need to do is post instructions and the photos i took... coming soon...

Cheers

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
JA@Z that's tops looking forward to seeing how you did everything:dance: