Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

Icefyre0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim S2
VX ignition barrel globe/gear shift bulb

Hi Julie,
very useful tips...i was hoping you or someone else could help me with a query. A friend has just bought a VX and the bulb behind/under the gear shift has blown, so hard to tell at a glance which gear she's in at night. Also, the bulb for the ignition barrel has blown, can i get to it underneath the steering column?
many thanks
barbara

vtwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive wagon
to get to the globe in you gear select panel you need to remove the center console, theres 2 screws either side of your ciggy lighter, 1 screw either side next to the front seats and 2 bolts in the center console compartmet, then it should just lift out.

Once thats out its as easy as unscrewing the globe holder at the base of the gear stick and changing the globe.

This is just going off the top of my head so if i have missed any of the screws or steps people feel free to correct me.

msabell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II Berlina
Awesome!

Unreal thanks for this post. Ever since I bought my VT2 Berlina two years ago, have had a bulb out behind the speedo; so that at night time I can only clearly see 3/4 of the speedo, the lefthand 1/4 is faint. I'm guessing this is a blown bulb issue?? I will have to give this a shot.

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
You said it's really easy but would it be possible for someone with NO EXPERIENCE to do this without too much hassle?

Maccasmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VX Spac
You said it's really easy but would it be possible for someone with NO EXPERIENCE to do this without too much hassle?

mate this is so simple. trust me. you'll feel quite silly for even asking when you've done it.
it just seems daunting at first, give it a shot, take your time an you should be sweet as dude ;)

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
Ok cheers mate :) , i'll give it ago ....at some point XD

Tucky_D!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Vt Berlina 3 Level Dash Cluster

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows if the 3 lights (behind the odometer, fuel consumption & over speed) are replaceable & where i might be able to get some from on the Gold coast?

While i was at the commodore wreckers today, i asked 1 of the guys if they knew where to get some because i've had the cluster out & know that those 3 bulbs are different to the rest in the dash cluster.
His reply was "those 3 are crystals & once there gone, there's no replacing them to re illuminate that part of the cluster, the only thing you can do is to replace the whole cluster!"

Can anyone out there let me know if this is true or not? The cluster still works fine, the only thing is i cant see those 3 parts of the dash at night unless i drive past a streetlight.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

Cheers Tom

jwoody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm series 2
just a quick question, most of the removal is straightforward, my problem is i can't get my fascia panel right off due to the stereo. How do i remove it? have a VX btw. Thx

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
just a quick question, most of the removal is straightforward, my problem is i can't get my fascia panel right off due to the stereo. How do i remove it? have a VX btw. Thx

The Headunit?? You should be able to pull that straight out??

buff169

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Series 2
Hey Buddy, get a coat hanger cut the top of it off and then cut the bottem of it in two. Now yu sould have to "V" shaped tools. You then put the ends of them in to the two holes of the Stereo (IF STOCK) wiggle it around and out it comes, then disconnect the wiring harness at the back of the stereo unit... should be all good now :)