Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

buff169

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Series 2
Hi there - can some one please post some instructions on how to replace the globe on the a/c switch - this is the globe that lights up only when u turn your driving lights on and not the one that is amber lite when a/c is switch on. Thanks very much and I hope I havn't asked a silly question. Cheers

Depends if it is a VT or VX. VT you can buy the globe from holden Ask for a HAZARD, FOG, TRAC OR PWR SWTCH GLOBE. If it is a VX ... good luck finding it in a auto store... Narva have a close replica of it though... hope this helped :)

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i think you will find they are telling the truth. i tried to put my only remaining lit up window globe in a different window, and it didnt work. so i think that window is stuffed.
also, i found some narva wedge globes with a very similar base, the only difference seemed the base was thinner, and im not sure about the power rating either, but, they didnt work either. ill have to get some original ones next to try that. they are expensive globes though. especially if theres no certainty that they will fix the window.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows if the 3 lights (behind the odometer, fuel consumption & over speed) are replaceable & where i might be able to get some from on the Gold coast?

While i was at the commodore wreckers today, i asked 1 of the guys if they knew where to get some because i've had the cluster out & know that those 3 bulbs are different to the rest in the dash cluster.
His reply was "those 3 are crystals & once there gone, there's no replacing them to re illuminate that part of the cluster, the only thing you can do is to replace the whole cluster!"

Can anyone out there let me know if this is true or not? The cluster still works fine, the only thing is i cant see those 3 parts of the dash at night unless i drive past a streetlight.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

Cheers Tom

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
nope. they are crappin you actually tom. it seems i got my globes mixed up when i tested it, cos mine is working now. the only thing that lights up the dispay window, is the globes at the back. if the crystal is stuffed, youlle get no numbers at all. so plonk some new globes in, and you should be ok. just get them from holden i reckon. most of the ones at the wreckers are blown too. sorry to mislead you before anyway

prockter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commondore Sedan 1998
For the bulb behind/under the gear shift, what watts can you put in there for i can only get blue globs in 10 watt...this won't burnout or pop or anything? is it okay?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
For the bulb behind/under the gear shift, what watts can you put in there for i can only get blue globs in 10 watt...this won't burnout or pop or anything? is it okay?

a normal parker globe is used so u should b able 2 find them everywhere. but no that globe should b fine.

prockter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commondore Sedan 1998
when im trying to remove the bottom of my steering wheel cover the screw is'nt coming out...And also is there a glob where the power switch is? i seem to be able to deattach everything but the automatic gear shift to be able to check for the globe for the power switch..cheers

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
y r u touching the steering wheel 4?

yeah there is a globe 4 the power button. these r the same type of globes that ur hazzard, traction, fog, lpg and dome lights switches have. u'll need 2 remove the whole centre console and then move the shifter surround far enough out of the way 2 access the switch from under neith.

prockter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commondore Sedan 1998
im touching my steering wheel so i can change the globe of the ignition

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
im touching my steering wheel so i can change the globe of the ignition

ignition ring? steering wheel doesnt need 2 b touched, the ignition ring just pops out from around the barrel. After u got it out just make sure the flat spot on the ingnition ring lines up with the flat spot on the barrel u'll see wat i mean after u get the ring off.