Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing LS2 ECT sensor?

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
Hey, need some advice or a step by step on how to change the engine coolant temperature sensor on my E1 Maloo. Done a fair bit of work on my old L67 but never touched an LSx engine yet. Will also need to point out where it is for me.

Cheers in advance if anyone can help.

Last edited:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
From memory it is located on the right hand side of the engine (if your facing the front of your car looking back at the engine) or passenger side towards the front of the motor (just above the spark lead), just behind the power steering pump, screwing into the head just below the rocker cover.

Photo provided by another location.: cam_35 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! You can see it here just above the orange spark lead.

Hope this helps

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
I was thinking it might of been around the water pump area. Lucky I asked then before I went pulling **** out I didn't need to lol

If that's the one cheers.

Also are all Gen 3/4 sensors the same?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
There are torque settings for replacing one, however just remember when your tightening the sensor do not over-tighten as it is screwing into Alloy.

You can access the following service manual (for the Pontiac G8 LS2 & 3) and check if you like. Pontiac G8 0809 FSM.rar

I don't believe so. I would buy the right part for the engine if needed.