Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing my passenger seat belt tensioner advice?

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
hey everyone, today i started my car and the airbag light came on so i took it to mechanics they ran a check and came up with "passenger seat belt tensioner voltage to high" or something like that anyway just looking for some advice on how to approach it?, is it as simple as disconnect the battery - undo the seat - change tensioner and bolt it all back up then get the code cleared?

all help much appreciated

cheers

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
sorry forgot to mention the car is a vt

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would try cleaning the connections first. Disconnect the battery, press the brake pedal to get rid of any residual current then disconnect the plug and clean it with contact cleaner, then plug it in and out a few times.

Do not reconnect the battery and turn the key on with the plug disconnected, this will throw another fault code.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
the seatbelt pretensioner controls the BUCKLE device that tightens the seatbelt in a n accident
PERSONALLY i would be more exact with which code but anyway as its important in what to replace here

anyways the normal code would be "drivers (or passengers) seat belt pretensioner circuit high resistance"
in which case you follow the wiring from the BUCKLE nder seat and feed a zip tie around it so that the connector is pulled tighter together
so there are two wires too it on each side of the connector feed IM-BETWEEN the two wires on BOTH sides and then tighten

this removes most high resistance faults with pretensioners

else if it was a faulty pretensioner buy a NEW one and remove seat bolts and lift seat backwards in car
undo one bolt holding it on and swap

recomend you doo this with the negative battery disconnected to avoid any ACCIDENTAL airbag deployments

either way zip tie or replace the code in srs airbag is a no delete code and HAS to be CLEARED with a scantool or light WILL stay on

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
thanks for the advice fellas, i will try both these options later or tomoro morning and see how i go i wouldnt of even though of either of them without your help if they both dont work i will buy a new one, do holden still sell them? any rough idea on price?

will keep yous updated cheers

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
problem sorted :) i unpluged the plug cleaned it up then zip tied it tight, went back to the mechanic he reset it and its all good, if the same fault comes up again i will just replace the tensioner

thanks for the help guys, might of saved me alot of cash

cheers

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yeah had one of these today
took trim off
ziptied and cleared code GONE note to all try this first only if....
code is
" HIGH RESISTANCE drivers/passengers PRETENSIONER circuit "

orsm6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx2 5.7 Calais.
is it possible anyone has a photo of where/how you zip tied it?

the seatbelt pretensioner controls the BUCKLE device that tightens the seatbelt in a n accident
PERSONALLY i would be more exact with which code but anyway as its important in what to replace here

anyways the normal code would be "drivers (or passengers) seat belt pretensioner circuit high resistance"
in which case you follow the wiring from the BUCKLE nder seat and feed a zip tie around it so that the connector is pulled tighter together
so there are two wires too it on each side of the connector feed IM-BETWEEN the two wires on BOTH sides and then tighten

this removes most high resistance faults with pretensioners

else if it was a faulty pretensioner buy a NEW one and remove seat bolts and lift seat backwards in car
undo one bolt holding it on and swap

recomend you doo this with the negative battery disconnected to avoid any ACCIDENTAL airbag deployments

either way zip tie or replace the code in srs airbag is a no delete code and HAS to be CLEARED with a scantool or light WILL stay on