Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Odometer

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I want to change my Odometer reading.. My car's clocked up 180k, all highway.. It belonged to Bunnings, Ballarat. But it's in PERFECT condition and I've been told my mechanics that it could easily pass for 70..

Is it illegal to change the reading from 180 to 70? Not unethical, I mean from a purely legal standpoint..

If not, how would I go about doing it on a VX.. I've been told that a replacement dash isn't the go because it's all reset with the Tech2..

Cheers..

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
I'm pretty sure it's very illegal to tamper with an odometre reading. No doubt someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly though :D

Z

ZER0

Im sure its illegal.... how would you feel if you purchased a car with say 50k on the clock when in actual fact it had 150k?

i remember a car dealer down my street had his dealer license taken of him for winding back clocks..... i heard he got fined something to the tune of ten grand.

the transport department keeps tabs on registered cars.... if you have ever submitted a form to the DOT with your odometer reading on it (RWC etc.) they enter that in their system... so if that car shows up somewhere with less kms on it (such as when you sell it) they see it.

whilst i don’t believe they run checks on it, if there is ever an enquiry into your vehicle for any reason that information will be visible.

I needed to find out a thing or two about my vx in regards to a dodgy safety certificate that the previous owner got when he brought it… QLD transport printed it out for me… its all on file. Imagine if I had of seen it had more kms back then!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah look, if it turns out to be illegal, then moderators feel free to delete this thread.. I know it's unethical, but it may not be strictly illegal for individuals.. But it may also be..

Just curious about it, that's all..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I can tell you now, winding back an odometer is ILLEGAL. No if's but's or maybe's

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
minux said:
I can tell you now, winding back an odometer is ILLEGAL. No if's but's or maybe's
Based on what?

R

rattattack1313

Probably based on the fact that his brother-in-law is a cop...........I spose he might have asked him...............

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Lets see, we are truck safe & NHVAS certified. Now i think our workshop manager would have said if it wasnt. Secondly as rat quoted. :)

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
im pretty sure its illegal, not to mention extremely dodgy