Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing power steering fluid

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi all,

I'm interested in changing my p/s fluid to see if it fixes a problem with my steering. Anyone know the easiest way to do it? I have a VX II ecotech.

The problem is a slight "groaning" sound when I'm turning, mostly audible at slow speeds - and *only* when the engine is warm, and when the car is turned on.

That is, after driving for a while, I can start to hear it - and when I park the car (with the engine still running), I gently move the steering wheel left & right a few centimetres, I can hear the sound.

If I then stop the engine, and move the steering wheel in exactly the same way - no sound.

So I'm guessing it's my pump, or the fluid needs changing... Hopefully a fluid change fixes it.

Other than that, the steering "feels" the same as always, it's definitely not worse... so I'm hoping it's not the pump on the way out.

Anyone have any ideas?

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
gogoboygareth said:
Hi all,

I'm interested in changing my p/s fluid to see if it fixes a problem with my steering. Anyone know the easiest way to do it? I have a VX II ecotech.

The problem is a slight "groaning" sound when I'm turning, mostly audible at slow speeds - and *only* when the engine is warm, and when the car is turned on.

That is, after driving for a while, I can start to hear it - and when I park the car (with the engine still running), I gently move the steering wheel left & right a few centimetres, I can hear the sound.

If I then stop the engine, and move the steering wheel in exactly the same way - no sound.

So I'm guessing it's my pump, or the fluid needs changing... Hopefully a fluid change fixes it.

Other than that, the steering "feels" the same as always, it's definitely not worse... so I'm hoping it's not the pump on the way out.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sounds as though it is the pump,a simple fluid change might not work,but by the sound's of it,it might not hurt.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could a bit of air in the sysytem. How's your fliud level?

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
accentstencil said:
Could a bit of air in the sysytem. How's your fliud level?
Indeed, I have a mate with a VX Berlina that neglect's this very component.I have a small leak in my VT pump,but always check the level,if your not keeping up to date with your levels then your neglecting your car.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
My steering in my vx calais gets stiffer as the car warms up :( first thing in the morning it will be light and smooth (easy to palm turn), but as soon as it warms up a tad, say after about 1km of driving to work- it will get noticibly stiffer.

Ive been diagnosed with a rack seal leaking oil/fluid, the p/s fluids are all full, could this seal be the problem? havent checked the pump or anything tho yet :/

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
gogoboygareth said:
Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas?

Have a look here

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Thanks for that link. :)

I *did* have a leak around 12 months ago - I always check my fluids weekly, and I noticed a slight drop - and it dropped a bit more then following week. :( I had it immediately looked at, and one of the hose connections had come loose - once tightened, it was all fine again. :) My fluid is always full. :)