Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Power steering pump

Gav95VS

Reaction score
my power steering pump is stuffed and i need to replace it does anyone know how hard they are to change?

the reason is i got quoted $295 to have mine rebuilt or $340 for a new one form holden. i am thinking of getting the new one and fitting it myself

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
whereabouts are you..if youre in sydney i can give you a guys number who gets them rebuilt and fits them for ya..cost me $220 fitted to my VR II v6
cheers

Gav95VS

Reaction score
yeah i'm i western sydney can you PM me the details what sort of warranty does it come with?

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
check ya PM box...also ..what is your colour of your coolant..is it green or is it brownish...mines brownish and someone told me on here that its normal..tru or not?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
True...its the cooling pellets that you add to the glycol/water coolant that lubricates the water pump and/or seals the system that is brown in colour .
It easily passes as rusty water at first glance.....I nearly threw mine out when I first got my car.
In time it makes a bit of a mess of the overflow bottle but that what holden puts in them .
Its written in the owners manual in the services part.

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
ah ok..well that makes sense..yeah i see what u mean by the coolant colour making a mess near the overflow bottle!! lol its funny how some ppl say the coolant should be brown but some people say that their coolant is green or red..we r getting to the stage of all colours of the rainbow...did the cooling system change on the VS by any chance??i got VR II

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The coolant you use is the green stuff that you see in all cars before you put the pellets in ...the pellets change the coolant from green to brown.
here's what the pellets look like before you crush them up and put them in the radiator.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The pellets are actually crushed nutshells...
they circulate in the coolant working like a sandblaster keeping the seal clear of sludge build up.

sorry just some completely useless trivia.
Rob

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
thanks for the pics and the info guys..ive only had the car for a few weeks and i had no idea..ive already flushed the radiator but still got the brownish water..btw does the vr have a rubber timing belt or a chain??
cheers