Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing rear studs on VZ?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey people.

The other day I got a puncture on the rear left and took it to a place to get repaired. Long story short, all 5 studs are cross threaded so they tried to repair the threads but could only do 4.

I rung around, and everyone seems to want around $300 to replace all 5. I've been searching everywhere on how to swap them over and I can't find any info.

Is it as simple as taking wheel off, brake caliper, rotor, bashing old ones our

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Old ones out and putting new ones in? Or am I going to have to deal with bearings and stuff?

Sorry about the double post, my phone spazzed out...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well yes but I wouldn't "bash" it out as it won't be good for the hub/bearing etc. Ideally you want to press them out, a big G clamp and socket over the back of the stud should work and then pull the new studs in using a nut and some washers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well yes but I wouldn't "bash" it out as it won't be good for the hub/bearing etc. Ideally you want to press them out, a big G clamp and socket over the back of the stud should work and then pull the new studs in using a nut and some washers.
Wow, seems simple enough of a task. But why do mechanics want around $300 to do such. Is Holden making the studs from gold or what?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** knows. Couple of hours labour plus parts? Been a bloody long time since I've replaced a stud, maybe they are a tighter fit than I remember but then a workshop should have more appropriate equipment to remove studs.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
For VY (same arse-end as VZ?)

"You remove the calipers and rotors and then you are left with the hub that the studs can be gentlly tapped out.
Then to get the new ones back in you just make sure they're in the right place and tighten the nut back up."

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon

Thanks! I'll definitely do the clamp and socket method! :) never would have thought of using a socket.

I've been currently driving with only 4 lug nuts that were "repaired" with a di set lol

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Tell us more about how you can cross-thread studs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Tell us more about how you can cross-thread studs.
I think he means cross threaded nuts on a stud ;)

I’ve only had cross threaded wheel nuts, years ago, when sloppy use of a rattle gun to start the nuts and tighten them on the wheel stud (by a lazy tyre store)... I drove home and took the wheels off (to check stuff as I always do) but found nuts on way way too tight and then a cross threaded nuts on two wheels. Went directly back and guy insisted I must have done it... Never went back there...

Since then, I always ask for nuts to be wound on by hand... if they don’t agree they don’t get the sale... Never had an issue since...