Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing rims without affecting speedo

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
1991_Vn2nV said:
Good luck finding a 19 inch rim that can take 205's man. Its hard to find a 19 incher thats less than 8 inches wide. You're looking at 235/35's I think...

It doesnt matter with the calculator really... when you buy wheels and tyres, the tyre place will work it out themselves anyway... They cant put tyres on that are over 15mm different to the original rolling diameter or they are breaking the law, so they legally have to put the suitable tyres on anyway.

Yeah 205's would require a 19*7 inch rim 19*7.5 at maximum. Also an oddball size tyre like that really limits the options when it comes to tyre brand and pattern. With 19*8's and a 235/35R19, the rolling radius is almost exactly the same as standard and damn near every passenger tyre manufacturer has at least one pattern in that size. One thing to keep in mind though is that 19's aren't easily insurable on an 89 calais, in most states they aren't even technically legal without an engineers cert. Not that it's ever stopped anyone really, but just some more food for thought.

White_Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Calais
pandaman said:
One thing to keep in mind though is that 19's aren't easily insurable on an 89 calais, in most states they aren't even technically legal without an engineers cert. Not that it's ever stopped anyone really, but just some more food for thought.

Thanks for the info pandaman, tho i live in NZ so i dunno if the legal side of things are different or pretty much the same. Im thinking bout just going with 17s but since i dunno jack about this sorta thing i don't kno what tyre sizes there are and all that.

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
SUPERCHARGED VP COMMODORE
prince_dj666 said:
very true. the wheel makes so much different. i had 15's on b4. got used to it... then got 17's... got used to it... got 19's... now selling my 19's for 1000 so i can get 20's
Any pics of your 19's for sale???

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
White_Knight said:
Thanks for the info pandaman, tho i live in NZ so i dunno if the legal side of things are different or pretty much the same. Im thinking bout just going with 17s but since i dunno jack about this sorta thing i don't kno what tyre sizes there are and all that.

No probs, I dunno about the laws in NZ, I have a hard enough time keeping up with whats going in in NSW. For 17*8 inch rims, 235/45R17 are close to stock diameter. They're also pretty much the most common performance size around really. 17*7 inch rims are also an option, but I'd really reccomend the 17*8's so you can take advantage of the wider rubber. Also they're not real expensive in the grand scheme of things so no reason not to. :yeah: