Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing rims without affecting speedo

White_Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Calais
Hey

I thought it was time to start putting a bit of money into my car ( 89 Calais ) and one thing i want is to change the rims. I just got the factory calais ones atm ( 205/65/15 ) and wouldn't mind going an inch or 2 bigger. But I don't want to put the speedo outta whack. is there any way round this? I don't know much bout this sorta thing, still learning :p. so any info would be appriciated

Thanks

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I have 17s on my car and it puts the speedo out by about 1 or 2 km/h at 100 so its good.

White_Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Calais
mouce said:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Just work out the profile of the tyre that you need.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yea i was thinking bout goin with lower profile tyres but didn't know how much it would put the speedo out by.
Thanks mouce for the calculator, I actually come across it shortly after posting the thread. I figure going 19" rims and a 205/40 tyre should do nicely if i could. id be going 99.9k at 100 :D

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
White_Knight said:
Thanks for the reply guys. Yea i was thinking bout goin with lower profile tyres but didn't know how much it would put the speedo out by.
Thanks mouce for the calculator, I actually come across it shortly after posting the thread. I figure going 19" rims and a 205/40 tyre should do nicely if i could. id be going 99.9k at 100 :D

Good luck finding a 19 inch rim that can take 205's man. Its hard to find a 19 incher thats less than 8 inches wide. You're looking at 235/35's I think...

It doesnt matter with the calculator really... when you buy wheels and tyres, the tyre place will work it out themselves anyway... They cant put tyres on that are over 15mm different to the original rolling diameter or they are breaking the law, so they legally have to put the suitable tyres on anyway.

White_Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
Good luck finding a 19 inch rim that can take 205's

One can dream can't he? :p nar i don't know what im gonna do just yet. Tryna figure things out and do sum research. Don't really wanna spend a huge amout on rims and tryes so i might just stick with a 15 inch rim

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I was gonner stick with my 15s but came across a 12 month interest free deal at bob jane and got some nice 17s for $1100. Its amazing what a nice set of wheels does to your car:)

White_Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Calais
coolvncommodore said:
I was gonner stick with my 15s but came across a 12 month interest free deal at bob jane and got some nice 17s for $1100. Its amazing what a nice set of wheels does to your car:)

I agree, I wasn't gonna do anything to it when I brought it over a year ago. And after having problems with the coil pack I was thinking bout selling and getting a VR. But the Calais still goes well now and i just love it :) so im gonna put some money into it and do it up a lil. I just gotta decide on what design rims ta get once i decide on size etc

Thanks for all your replys so far, appreciate it heaps

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I didnt realise how how good 17" wheels look good over 15", it's well worth the money.