Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing seat upholstery

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
The leather/ velour upholstery in my VR Calais was crook. Cigarette burns, dog stink and stains reflected poorly on the whole car and re-trimming was not financially feasible.

So I bought a clean VR Statesman velour interior. Included embossed doortrims and carpet.

I took the rear (upright) cushions to a trimmer and he tightened up the side 'wings' (see relevant post on here somewhere) and I put them into the car.

I'm just not satisfied with them. The doortrims push against the seats making the doors hard to close and there is a void up near the top of the cushion that looks bad.

So I had a thought..., maybe I could retrim the old cushion with the Statesman trim.

I removed the trim from the old seats and the foam is in good nick. Everything seemed held together with 'd' clips.

A quick comparison showed that the cover sizes appear similar.

My question is:
1. Am I on the right track with my thinking that re-trimming the original cushions will allow things to fit better?

2. Are the covers the same size?

3. Is this a job I could take on or am I better off going back to the trimmer?

If anyone has taken this on before, I'd be interested to know the result...

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To do a decent job, first get hogrings and a pair of hogrings pliers. Hogrings are those D shaped clips.
Take measurements of the two seats across all dimensions. The important thing is to get the front surfaces tight and aligned with each other and no creases or wrinkles. You've nothing to lose. Give it a go.