Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing spark plugs

carlyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Statesman
I've changes spark plugs before on different makes of cars. Just bought a VS11 Statesman and am having trouble changing them. How do the you pull off the leads on the plugs? what are the silver circular things that clip onto the plugs? Not sure i should just pull harder on these to get them off.
Please help.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
carlyboy said:
I've changes spark plugs before on different makes of cars. Just bought a VS11 Statesman and am having trouble changing them. How do the you pull off the leads on the plugs?
just pull them. probly been on for a while, so they'll be sticky. if ya wreck em just buy new ones
carlyboy said:
what are the silver circular things that clip onto the plugs? Not sure i should just pull harder on these to get them off.
Please help.
heat shields. if you replace your leads, swap these over to the new leads. they just slide off

R

Rampage

hey mate- those shields slide back then u just pull, dont pull the lead though, may cause damage,. use those muscles :bang:

cheers

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Oh and also make sure no kids are around, i used a few choice words when my knuckles hit on the way up, sometimes the leads stick on tightly. Yeah, don't pull the lead itself.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
And do it when the car is hold.. Knuckles hitting hot extractors isn't good. Plus heat expands the bore..

And pull hard, but pull on the boot at the head of the plug. Do not pull on the spark plug wire..

carlyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Statesman
thanks for info. but do I grab hold of the actual heat shields & pull these out too?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can squeeze the heat shields in to grab the plug end then twist----and put some silicone grease on your new plugs so as next time they slide off easy...

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
dont pull on them, youll break the clip off that goes on the end of the plug. use a long screwdriver and carefully lever off side to side evenly.

carlyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Statesman
Thanks all-plugs changed. boy it's hard on newer v6 engines nowadays due to lack of space & very tight leads etc.used bit of elbow grease and allOK Thanks all for advice.