Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing springs in a vx

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
as title states, im helping a mate change the springs on his car, & just wondering, wats invoved with getting the front ones out? anything we should look out for? Thanks in advance

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
You'll have to pull out the whole strut assembly.

Basically, take the wheel off, there should be 2 large bolts holding the strut to the lower suspension assembly, you'll see wot I mean when the wheel is off, then open the bonnet, undo the nut on the suspension tower. You'll also have to undo the swaybar link which is attached to the strut also.

Once its out then u have to pull apart the actual strut assembly itself.

Thats only a real quick overview of it. Best bet is get him to buy a gregories. I got one here, but no scanner otherwise I'd scan the pages for ya.

Hope this helps a little. . . . . .

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
The only other thing i can think of is when the strut is out and you go to undo the top nut that holds the top of the shock in becareful cause the spring mite pop out cause its under tension and it may take out your face if you have spring compressors use them :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Prob not the best explanation but try this link its a different model but it is along the same lines for a VX

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=25011

Pic 9 and pic 10 is what i was meaning

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Spring compressors are a must,the loaded spring's have the ability to take your head off.