Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing SPRINGS without air tools?

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
howdy

next weekend im installing pedders front and rear lowered springs, rear shortened shocks and an adjustable pan hard rod.

the thing is that i dont have any air tools to get the front springs off, and the new ones on. is there any way to get around this? i dont have spring compressors either.

might seem like a dumb question but yeah..

cheers sid

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I haven't done it without spring compressors, but from what I can gather, it won't be fun. You don't really need air tools, although they do help a lot. The only snag we ran into was that we couldn't get the top nut off of the old struts (even with a rattle gun), so we just ended up cutting it off with a grinder because the new struts came with new bolts anyway.

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
might be handy mate if you nip down and get a pair of spring compressors cause good luck tryin to get them out any other way............ and even with spring com u might need a hand cause tightening them is a pain in thre backside

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Don't need air tools by any means mate. Spring compressors you will need though.

Cheers.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Highly recommended that you have a rattle gun and a butane torch to get the top bolts off. :)

As said above, spring compressors are compulsary too.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
if the top bolts are what i'm thinking of, what i used was a pair of lockable pliers that i locked onto the shaft of the shock, and i just undid the nut.
again, i think we're on the same page here?

but agree, spring compressors are a must. also warning to anyone in a 30 metre radius of alot of swearing and profanity...

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
It's probably been stated enough here already, but in the interest of personal safety: NEVER attempt to undo front springs without suitable spring compressors.
The pre-load that is set on even standard front springs is enough to shoot the nut or top mount literally 'through' your head, not to mention mince your hands if all lets go.