Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing steering wheel

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
It's not a stretch bolt so why?

Just checked the Gregory's, and yep it says you should. Also says to tighten to torque specified at start of chapter. Unfortunately it doesn't list that bolt's torque spec, or why replace it. Is it a bolt that would have threadlocker on it? Seen the manual say to replace other bolts that I couldn't see why and when saw a pic of the new bolts, they came with what looked like threadlocker on it. So personally on those I bought a bottle of loc-tite or some other brand and re-used them. Hopefully that wasn't a big mistake. :unsure:

Does warn when replacing airbag to make sure not to pinch the wires and to push firmly back in place, but don't hit.

Aussie Willy said:
Curious, can you give me an example of an illegal steering wheel please.
Mate had an EH ages ago. Illegal wheel as it was too small. Also being polished wood I think was illegal. Looked cool and was fine cruising the highway, but dumb everywhere else. Big old car + small wheel + wide tyres + full parking garage - power steering = bloody hands. Yeah, they were right on that one. But being young and dumb we knew better :cool:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just to add a little more to this thread.

Over the years I've had many old British MG, TR and Austin Healey of many models and types, and the big thing was to always put a wood rimmed steering wheel on them, that did look good and was in fact good to steer with.
In the mid '80s I bought a Series3 Jaguar XJ6 and wanted to put a wood rimmed steering wheel on that, so I contacted my insurance company and was warned to do that nullified my insurance with them, and that was about 30 years ago.

Information FWIW.