Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Tailights On My VE Omega

Anthonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi all,
just wondering I live in vic and have checked VicRoads website and can’t seem to find much on this topic... I find that modifications to a vehicle are treated as such a grey area. Being that I can’t find anything on this can someone tell me if it is legal to change my taillights or not. In my opinion they are safer, they are LED so they will throw off more light and be easier to see in the dark in my opinion. I am on green p’s so I know regardless I’ll likely cop **** at some point however just want to know that I am doing the right thing and that I’ll be able to back myself

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need to be looking for Vehicle Bulletin Standards (VBS) and other standards guides. Legally they need to be ADR approved. If you search for trailer lights on ebay there are a lot that will come up as specifically ADR approved for this reason.

Having said that, tail lights would be the worlds easiest defect to clear in the unlikely even somebody complains.

Last edited:

Anthonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You need to be looking for Vehicle Bulletin Standards (VBS) and other standards guides. Legally they need to be ADR approved. If you search for trailer lights on ebay there are a lot that will come up as specifically ADR approved for this reason.

Having said that, tail lights would be the worlds easiest defect to clear in the unlikely even somebody complains.
These lights are advertised on eBay and will be ordered from a site that provides globes however I’ve seen them on cars in other states I just don’t want to be done cause I’m in a stricter state.. they look 10x better

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
E74DA131-AC52-49C2-9697-5F5261FAFDD5.jpeg
F8D59EF7-3DBB-4976-A67A-32B6E29CF1B9.jpeg
You should be ok with the new taillights. I have LED taillights that look dark tinted but it’s only black plastic under the clear lense that makes them look dark.these lights are as bright if not brighter than the stock lights.The boys in blue have never bothered me .

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
View attachment 211040 View attachment 211039 You should be ok with the new taillights. I have LED taillights that look dark tinted but it’s only black plastic under the clear lense that makes them look dark.these lights are as bright if not brighter than the stock lights.The boys in blue have never bothered me .
Are they plug'n play ? Do they need an adaptor cable and/or any mod?
Cheers

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Are they plug'n play ? Do they need an adaptor cable and/or any mod?
Cheers
Straight plug n play. These have sequential indicators aswell

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
and how does the reflector work

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
When you put your foot on the brake it works fine
that's the brake light not the reflector
the reflector must reflect a red light when someones headlights shine on it otherwise it is not roadworthy