Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the engine oil

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Car Takes 4.8L of Oil, And I use Penrite 15w-60 Fully synthetic, Protection on both scales mate. and its only $36

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
20w50 is the recommended oil, if it gets cooler in your area you can run a lower W rating for cold start. Main thing to look for when shopping for oil is the best HTHS above 4.0 is good.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I'd say a 20w50 aswell. I wouldnt recommend using a 30w50 at this stage in the cars engine life. 20w50 is fine. And if you have leaks, fix them.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
And if you have leaks, fix them.

When it's the rear main seal it can be a little costly and needs to be put off until I can afford it. I'm not in a position to rip out the transmission at home.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
When it's the rear main seal it can be a little costly and needs to be put off until I can afford it. I'm not in a position to rip out the transmission at home.

I wasnt pointing that statement at yourself, or anyone in particular. But using a thicker oil just to stop leaks and not considering what other effects it could be having on the motor isnt the right way to solve the problem.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I wasnt pointing that statement at yourself, or anyone in particular. But using a thicker oil just to stop leaks and not considering what other effects it could be having on the motor isnt the right way to solve the problem.

I totally agree with what you are saying, and your advice has been taken on board.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Our baby has no leaks although the tappet gasket started to weep a while back and we had both replaced straight away.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Our baby has no leaks although the tappet gasket started to weep a while back and we had both replaced straight away.
Just a note - alot of people get into trouble removing the old filter cos they try snd unscrew it the wrong way and actually tighten it - so remember the rule - Righty tighty Lefty loosey and you cant go wrong.