Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing the oil filter on a 202

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Only if it has water in it, and you give it a real good shake.
Modern oils should be nearly clear, and shaking it in container will give bubbles and the same colour oil.

Yeah i was wondering if it was air in the oil from the shaking or maybe some of the additives settled to the bottom and were now mixed into the oil. It kinda looked cloudy rather than a gold colour. Weird.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
You can also safely use the VN V8 oil filter, it's smaller and great for when you do frequent stop starts, as the oil comes up to pressure earlier as there is less filter to fill. Just replace more often as it's smaller.
It still works fine, used to run on my club rally car, back in the day. Oil pressure was far better.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can also safely use the VN V8 oil filter, it's smaller and great for when you do frequent stop starts, as the oil comes up to pressure earlier as there is less filter to fill. Just replace more often as it's smaller.
It still works fine, used to run on my club rally car, back in the day. Oil pressure was far better.
The only time you would notice a difference is after sitting for extended periods of time (days/weeks) on first cold startup. The filters have anti drainback valves so should be full. The smaller z160 was used to clear the radiator hose in the later commodores.

No problem with either filter, and there will be no difference in pressure between the 2. Advantage of the larger z30 is increased filtration area (and consequently less chance of imploding the filter if oiling mods done on the v8’s).

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I am trying out some Motorcraft AFL2 long life oil filters (they are interchangeable with Z30) and seem to be ok

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
The only time you would notice a difference is after sitting for extended periods of time (days/weeks) on first cold startup. The filters have anti drainback valves so should be full. The smaller z160 was used to clear the radiator hose in the later commodores.

No problem with either filter, and there will be no difference in pressure between the 2. Advantage of the larger z30 is increased filtration area (and consequently less chance of imploding the filter if oiling mods done on the v8’s).
I agree the increased filtration area is great. z30 for the win there.
However the anti drainback valves doesn't negate the larger surface area of the filter that needs to be pressurized, yes the oil filter is full but when running it stretches lightly due to oil pressure, the larger the filter the more it stretches till it reaches pressure, I could literally watch effect on same engine running Z160 vs Z30, ca stopped for a few minutes, the z30 could take twice as long for the pressure to reach.

I could literally see the oil reaching the rockers, top of engine with a Z160 (obviously when working on engine and rocker covers of). And that was warm starting.
I also heard the engine settle much quicker with the Z160 when stop start between runs at the track, motor carna and carna cross type events.

Lots of short stop start Z160, Highway or medium long drives Z30
It worked for me anyway.

P.S.
I tried because of advice I received in club motorsport for the old inline 6.