Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing the oil filter on a 202

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
How or what is the best way to not have the oil drip out of the filter when unscrewing it during an oil change? Is there a best way to avoid it or do you just put up with the residual engine oil draining onto the frame and into the pan?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
……………………. or do you just put up with the residual engine oil draining onto the frame and into the pan?

Old towels for spills, try to tilt the filter so oil doesn't run out, and get your hands dirty the old school way.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pan under that area undo filter a few turns then stop untill it drains then few more turns...once drained & off wiped down with rag etc.

True bogan does it hot,punches large screwdriver through filter body to undo...swears as misses drain tray underneath then tries not to get his durrie covered in oil moving said drain tray...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
True bogan does it hot,punches large screwdriver through filter body to undo...swears as misses drain tray underneath then tries not to get his durrie covered in oil moving said drain tray...

I was told heaps of people do that by the bloke who sold me my oil. So when I was like 17 I punched the driver through it. It was the most ridiculous thing, oil everywhere. After that if I had one screwed on too tight I used a thinish driver in the hard rim and just loosened it enough to undo by hand. Eventually I bought a SH filter removal tool. Nowadays I know they only need nipping up and can always undo it without any tools.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Some strategically placed cardboard to route oil can help too.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How or what is the best way to not have the oil drip out of the filter when unscrewing it during an oil change? Is there a best way to avoid it or do you just put up with the residual engine oil draining onto the frame and into the pan?

Swap an LS in to it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
from memory the oil doesn't hit anything it runs straight down into the pan your over thinking things wipe it off if it does degrease it while its jacked up.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Thanks fellas, i figured that's what we put up with getting the filter off ... it can be a messy job ...

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
from memory the oil doesn't hit anything it runs straight down into the pan your over thinking things wipe it off if it does degrease it while its jacked up.

I wish it just would run straight into the pan but it doesn't ... unfortunately the oil can run out onto the frame and make a fair mess before it runs into the pan ...

I don't jack it up because there is enough room to drop the oil as is ...