Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing the oil

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
well today i went to my uncles house (his a mechanic) to change my oil since i was 6000km's overdue for a service.

Well when we pulled out the bolt to drain the oil no more than 1 litre of oil came out, to my uncles shock he was surprised i didnt blow my engine and also he could not find a single leak.

So we came to the conclusion that the engine had just burnt all the oil off, the thing that got us thinking was should the engine be burning that much oil? yes i was 6000 or 7000km's overdue but having less than a litre of oil?

Just thought id get ur opinions, also im checking my oil level 3 times a week now

edit: i havent noticed any blue smoke coming from the exhaust either

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
well today i went to my uncles house (his a mechanic) to change my oil since i was 6000km's overdue for a service.

Well when we pulled out the bolt to drain the oil no more than 1 litre of oil came out, to my uncles shock he was surprised i didnt blow my engine and also he could not find a single leak.

So we came to the conclusion that the engine had just burnt all the oil off, the thing that got us thinking was should the engine be burning that much oil? yes i was 6000 or 7000km's overdue but having less than a litre of oil?

Just thought id get ur opinions, also im checking my oil level 3 times a week now

Thats not normal..... Assuming your normal service interval is 10,000km's, so it was 16,000 km's since your last service.

All my cars drain the same amount I put in, shouldnt be burning any oil. and especially not that much. Just monitor it for the time and make sure its burning it.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
How much was showing on your dipstick, if it was full still then thats odd, but if it was really low then thats all your gonna get. Your car natraully uses oil over time and depends on your engine km's and your driving habbits, i wouldnt be concerned unless you've now dammaged your engine from low oil.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
thanks for quick response guys.

Yea it was 16000km since my last service and i checked the oil level the night before and the oil was barely touching the stick so yea obviously wasnt looking good...

Theres no damage to the engine that ive noticed so i got rly lucky with this one

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Mate, you can't let it get down that low, it must have been like that for ages.

You gotta check your car regularly for water an oils, dont just wait for the mech.

Cars burn oil and water...its what they do.

Wouldn't worry too much though, I'd say everyone thats ever owned a car has done it before.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
unfortunately some ecotecs do this. just check your oil every week and before and after looong trips and keep it topped up. If its not smokey it could be the valve stem seals. Check your plugs, some of them will probably be crusty from burning oil.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm really surprised your oil pressure warning light wasn't flashing red especially when braking and cornering as the oil pickup needs about 20mm of oil to pump from.

00vxsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67, ln106 hilux, xr600r

check your oil pressure switch, this is just next to the oil filter on top of the housing where your oil filter bolts up, lots of oil can leak out the top of them when they switch is Fu**ed. $35 from memory for a new 1