Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the starter motor on LS1 4WD

CalaisVSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V V8 + Adventra LX8+SV90
Has anyone got any clues on how I can extract and re-insert a new starter motor on my LS1 Adventra?

Thanks in advance

CalaisVSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V V8 + Adventra LX8+SV90
I gave it a good hot go. Disconnected the steering and moved it hard to the driver side and juggled with the starter for about an hour but still could not withdraw it from the maze of steering, front drive shafts and exhaust. Has anyone got any clues ?

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
I was lying under my Adventra this morning wondering about this as well (while trying to figure out how to remove the transmission linkage to be able to drop the transmission pan).

I thought pulling the starter motor directly forward towards the front of the car, then tipping it downwards and pulling it out from underneath between the exhaust etc might work. I guess you've probably already tried this.

The only other way I can think of is maybe undoing and moving the exhaust manifold away a bit.

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
For anyone needing to change out an Adventra starter motor in future:

It is not the same as with a normal Commodore.

Unfortunately the drivers side spark leads and exhaust manifold (or extractors and oil dip stick tube in my case) have to come off as a minimum.

It makes it much easier to completely remove the drivers side exhaust manifold (or extractor) from the engine bay to create enough room to be able to get access to the solenoid wiring and for the starter to come out through the top of the engine bay.

The starter still gets unbolted/re-bolted from under the car, but there is simply no easy way of removing the starter from under the car........or undoing any of the wiring.

Removing or undoing the steering rack won't help as the beefier crossmember and drive shafts are still in the way.
There are also transmission lines in the way to prevent moving the starter very far anyway.

All up it took me 3-4 hours and 5 beers to finish the job on my own..........without snapping any exhaust manifold bolts.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Its the same on a RWD sedan/ute/wagon its just a difficult spot.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yup real pain in the arse on the lsX engines , headers have to come off