Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing vp struts

juice1929

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
hey guys searched for a while but couldn't find anything on but i need to change my front struts on my series 2 vp wagon and was just wondering whether it is a reasonably easy job and any common problems that may occur whilst doing this, also is there anything else i should change while replacing the struts.
i was thinking of putting in an adjustable strut top and new sway bar links but not sure on what else to do.

cheers

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
couple of boxs of stella artois

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
You mean the shocks right? Not replacing the whole strut? Well either was when you take the strut out dont bother with the ball joint take the whole control arm out with it, its a presses job for the ball joint. I recently done it to the V8 http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-vg-vq/126925-1990-vn-bt1-v8-3.html

If it was me replacing the shocks i would also get some new springs if its stock height and strut tops if the old ones are shagged. I also found my shock boots and bump stops where gone aswell.

katrina34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
Will Vq struts fit vn calais

not sure if i'm in right area to ask this question just want to now will vq struts fit vn Calais the whole unit and is it the same for the rear i trying to find the whole unit with springs just want standard height because i putting tow bar on

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Probably not but it doesn't matter if you get an answer right?

Yes, VN and VQ front struts are interchangeable if both cars have the same type of engine i.e. V6 and V8 springs are different. There are also differences between FE2 and standard suspension types. If you have access to the donor car, the suspension type is listed after "SUSP" on the compliance plate that is riveted onto the firewall at the back of the engine bay. Otherwise the part number for the springs is on a plastic tag attached to a spring coil. I don't know off the top of my head what number corresponds to what part but if you need to know post back with the number(s) and I'm sure someone can help out.

Nothing from the rear suspensions are interchangeable.