Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing VY ignition barrel

Carlton95

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Wagon
The ignition key will not turn and have been told this is a common problem with the VY. Can I replace the barrel myself? Is it a easy job???

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Take a look in the Vt section or search - there are heaps of writeups there.
Is it easy? I have done it myself. It is fiddly, needing a roll pin or similar to extract the lock barrel and you need to get the new cylinder coded to your own key. Lock smith is best for this job.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
heyy mate, i did this on my neighbours vt like a week ago, its pretty straight forward if u have some mechanical know how.. got a new barrel for 38.80 trade from holden and a switch cause it was flogged out, all you need to do is take the plastic cover off the steering colum, one screw, and put the key in the ignition turn it to 'on' or 'accessories' position, and on the top of the barrel there is a little hole, just push it with a 3mm allen key, or something little, i used an 'o' ring pick, a bent spike, and pull the key out and the whole barrel will come out,
then to re'code the new one, it fairly easy, i looked at the bits n pieces that came with it, n was thinking holy sh**, but its not that bad, there is a little spring loaded pin on the back of the barrel, (you cant see the spring but) where it goes into the ignition switch, u need to push it in then turn the key in the barrel, kinda hard to explain, then slide the inner barrel out, but leave the key in it, otherwise the tumblers will fall out n ur in ****, then once thats out, i just used sticky tape to hole the tumblers in place, 5 on each side, then pull the key out gently, and read the numbers on the brass slides/tumblers, 1-10 i wrote them down on paper so i didnt muck it up, and put the new springs in with the slides, with PLENTY of dry lube, squeese em in with ur fingers and slide the key back in, then ul need to put two other bits in the outter barrel case, just look at the old one to see how, slide it back into the outer case and push the pin in with the spring behind it,all the way in, and turn the inner a bit to click it around,
mmm kinda vauge instructions but if u get stuck just msg me n ill help u out as much as i can, i wouldnt pay any1 to do it, its pretty easy and saves you some dosh...:thumbsup:

Carlton95

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Wagon
Thanks for the advise guys, headin to Holden to get a new barrell today and will give it a shot!!!!!

Clubby DVSGM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
what if the steering lock is stuck n u cant turn the key at all?
heyy mate, i did this on my neighbours vt like a week ago, its pretty straight forward if u have some mechanical know how.. got a new barrel for 38.80 trade from holden and a switch cause it was flogged out, all you need to do is take the plastic cover off the steering colum, one screw, and put the key in the ignition turn it to 'on' or 'accessories' position, and on the top of the barrel there is a little hole, just push it with a 3mm allen key, or something little, i used an 'o' ring pick, a bent spike, and pull the key out and the whole barrel will come out,
then to re'code the new one, it fairly easy, i looked at the bits n pieces that came with it, n was thinking holy sh**, but its not that bad, there is a little spring loaded pin on the back of the barrel, (you cant see the spring but) where it goes into the ignition switch, u need to push it in then turn the key in the barrel, kinda hard to explain, then slide the inner barrel out, but leave the key in it, otherwise the tumblers will fall out n ur in ****, then once thats out, i just used sticky tape to hole the tumblers in place, 5 on each side, then pull the key out gently, and read the numbers on the brass slides/tumblers, 1-10 i wrote them down on paper so i didnt muck it up, and put the new springs in with the slides, with PLENTY of dry lube, squeese em in with ur fingers and slide the key back in, then ul need to put two other bits in the outter barrel case, just look at the old one to see how, slide it back into the outer case and push the pin in with the spring behind it,all the way in, and turn the inner a bit to click it around,
mmm kinda vauge instructions but if u get stuck just msg me n ill help u out as much as i can, i wouldnt pay any1 to do it, its pretty easy and saves you some dosh...:thumbsup:

Spitzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CALAIS SERIES 2
this happened to me, just the other day,

I'm not very good with fiddly things, i tried yanking on the steering wheel, turning the key hard, but still no go!
i should have called a lock smith out, but didn't seem logical to spend a couple hundred dollars just to get my car home,
i ended up smashing the underneath of the barrel with a hammer and chisel, (where the steering lock pin is), then used a small screwdriver inside the electrical switch to start it so i could get it home,

after getting it home i then realised that i had actually broken the ignition housing,
as it is almost impossible to get the housing out of the steering column, i went to a wreckers and just bought a whole new steering column with the housing and barrel already in it,
i was lucky to get an ignition barrel that was in good nik. taking the column out is simple, its basicly just the steering wheel off, move the wires, take out 2 bolts and bobs your uncle,

then i just took the whole steering column down to a lock smith to get the barrel recoded to my key to save changing all the door locks etc,

all up this cost me $90, so even tho i got angry and started breaking things :-( it turned out to be quite cheap.....

hope this helps in some sort of fashion, but i know it saved me money!!

DemonRacing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Realise this is an old thread (found in a google search) but my cars just done the same thing.. lock is jammed and key won't turn.. is there a way to get the ignition barrel out without destroying everything lol

LESK1946

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt clubbie
hello mate , hope u r still on air , I 've got a 98 vt clubsport v8 . key rotates in barrel . told barrel needs replacing . cant find pin/hole to push in, to release key/barrel.i can see grub screw hole . are clubsport barrels different to other vt commodores ? or do u need to DRILL to access pin . thanks for helping advice ..............cheers les

timleith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute
Hi Mate have same problem was wondering if you found a solution to this common problem ? Im at my wits end with it
Cheers
Tim

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
I'm amazed that there are no decent Aussie solutions for this very common problem. Luckily, our brothers in the USA got our cars as Pontiac GTOs and have written a lot about it.

This link has all you need to know; it even has the GM tech instructions.

Ignition switch problems