Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing water pump VN/VP/VR

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
-----------------------------------------------------
NOTE 1: For heaven's sakes, I'm not a qualified mechanic - so assume that everything I'm about to tell you is bollocks. I have NO idea what I just did today, and I honestly have no idea whether it worked. For now, I'll just assume that the car is running on pure goodwill.
If you don't have some basic mechanical experience, don't expect to do a perfect job of this based on what I write. I write nonsense, and therefore I'm assuming you're only reading this guide for the pictures. The following is NOT mechanical advice - it's all fiction!!! So follow it at your own risk!!!

NOTE 2: For those of you with the Series 1 engine, you will probably find you have a spacer between the water pump and the timing case cover. If this is the case, you should buy a SECOND water pump gasket to go with your pump/gasket you will purchase. See VN88's addition to this how-to further down the page.
On a more serious note, if there is anything I have missed, or which you feel should be added to this guide, please feel free to let me know :) Also, if you see something in those pictures which indicates that I have performed a fatal error which could lead to imminent engine faliure, PLEASE tell me!

Since my water pump was kind enough to fail last night, I thought I'd do my first of what will hopefully be many how-to-guides for simple overhauls you may need to do during the life of your early-model commodore :)

Props to crazyspoon for making sure I bought a 3/8" socket beforehand, pub24/7 for some very useful tips, my mates tat and stocky for helping me get the car going when it shat itself last night on the prinny highway, and my friend jacqueline for driving me to bursons - allbeit in a COROLLA! *hides*

Possible symptoms of a failing water pump:

- Hear squeaking from your drivebelt
- Belt has moved from its usual spot on the water pump pulley
- Small (or large) leaks of water from the water pump area, usually behind the pulley.
- When you remove the belt for inspection, there is a little bit of north/south play in the pump pulley. There should be none.
- OR the pulley (with belt off) doesn't roll quite as smoothly as your power steering pulley, or alternator pulley.
- Drive belt slips consistently on the pulley, because the pulley is siezing
- Belt jumps off the pulley ribs and shreds itself in half, while the water pump bearing gives way, causing the pump blades to grind away your timing case cover - hemmhoraging coolant all over your driveway, or other public motorway.

How to resolve your water-pump-related issues:

- Spray some belt-grip on your drive belt to stop slipping or squeaking. Be warned, this CAN cause old belts to snap. But for the most part, if your slipping or squeaking belt is caused by some form of lubrication getting in there, the belt-grip will solve this.
- Change the water pump. Preferably BEFORE you experience the last symptom on that list.

How to change your water pump:

Step 1:
- Identify and confirm the problem(s) as pictured.
Step1.jpg

Step 2:
- Remove the fan + shroud. This will make your life quite a bit easier later on, and isn't hard to do.
- Four screws are located on the shroud, and there is one clip you will need to undo for the fan wiring. After this, the whole shroud should come out in one piece, as pictured.
Step2.jpg

Step 3:
- Take a good look at what you're about to do, and down a quick shot of something strong and nasty.
Step3.jpg

Step 4:
- Loosen the water pump pulley.
- There are 4 x 10mm bolts to undo here.
- You should loosen the bolts with the belt still on, to hold the pulley still for you.
Step4.jpg

Step 5:
- Remove the pulley
- Remember to remove the drive belt BEFORE you completely remove the bolts, or you'll just make things more complicated for yourself :p
Step5.jpg

Step 6:
- Take a look at the new pump you're about to install.
- This should give you a good idea of what you're about to take off, if it's your first time attempting this job.
Step6.jpg

Step 7:
- Before you go any further, make sure you keep ALL your bolts and screws in one place!
- A slab of old styrofoam should do the trick.
Step7.jpg

Step 8a:
- Now to get that water pump off!
- Remember, you'll need a non-metric socket for this. A 3/8" imperial socket should do the trick.
Step8a.jpg

Step 8b:
- The other four bolts are 13mm, and just take patience. They're a long way in.
- Some of the block bolts will leak coolant when you remove them, just prepare yourself!
- Once all 8 bolts are out, the pump should come off! You may need to give it a light tap, or you may not. Depends.
Step8b.jpg

Step 9:
- With the pump off, compare it to your new one, and see if you can identify exactly what went wrong.
- Also take this opportunity to have a quick smoke, drink, round of pokies - whatever does it for you.
Step9.jpg

Step 10:
- Get that old gasket off.
- There's really not too much risk of getting bits of gasket into your water galleries, but try not to :p
- A paint scraper will do the trick. I don't even know what it is that I'm using, but it was only two bucks, and it works.
- If the gasket needs a bit of softening up, try spraying it with some hot water.
- Once the gasket is all off, and the surface is all perfect and smooth, give the gasket surface a quick wipedown with some metho or acetone. This will dry it up, and allow a clean surface for the new gasket to grip.
Step10.jpg

Step 11a:
- New gasket, and new pump. This one, you just have to be patient with.
- Get your paper gasket (be VERY careful with it, they break easily!) and coat the engine-side with RTV sealant. It's the blue gasket stuff you find in small tubes. Forget what the name is. edit: Ultra Blue - that's the stuff!
- The easiest way to do this, is to lay the gasket on a clean, flat surface (that you don't mind buggering up) and smearing the sealant onto the gasket surface.
- Make especially sure to get in nicely around the bolt holes. Coat it evenly, but not thickly. You don't want excess sealant going everywhere, and especially not into your water galleries!
- Sorry I didn't include a photo of this, but my hands were all blue and sticky at the time, and I didn't want the sealant to cure!

Step 11b:
- Apply the glued side of the gasket to the block, being careful to line it up perfectly.
- Tap it on nicely with your fingers.
- Now, smear more glue onto the outside of the gasket. Cover it nicely, but not thickly.
- Carefully fit the new water pump, making sure the gasket lines up perfectly!
- Excess sealant can be cleaned up later when it dries.
Step11.jpg

Step 12:
- Bolt on the new water pump.
- The recommended torque for the pump bolts is around 15nm for the 3/8", and 20nm for the 13mm. I just tighten them up "nicely", then another half turn or so. Basically enough so that a decent half-arsed push on your ratchet has no effect - but not so much that you went red in the face trying to pull it further.
- Replacement of everything else, is the reverse of removal.
- Replace the old pulley wheel, and tighten it up as much as you can.
- Replace belt
- With belt on, tighten up the pulley bolts to a decent strength.
- Top up your coolant, and bleed the system for air.
- Replace fan shroud, and admire!
Step12.jpg

Step 13:
- It's a good idea to regularly check your coolant level, but especially so the day after you refill it. Keep doing this over the next week, to ensure the level doesn't drop
- Inspect the new water pump daily, looking for leaks, a failed gasket, or anything else.
- Give the bolts a gentle turn in the tighten direction every few days, to make sure they're not shaking loose. They shouldn't.
- Drive it like you stole it! :thumbsup:
Render_2a.jpg

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Nice job morton easy job wasn't it. Does your air con work? mine doesnt so i got the shorter belt instead

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Damn straight! Easier and cheaper than I anticipated. (My last experience with a water pump was on a Mazda 626... 'nuff said.)

My aircon works pretty darn well - it was completely overhauled by the previous owner only two years ago, so I'm reluctant to toss it out. Would save some good weight, though ^^

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ex V6S1 man/VX Acc l67/VT Ex wag
This tread has been a great help!! Just wondering if any one has done the WP on a series 1? the pump has got a spacer plate between it and the block. when I get the new pump will I just need to leave the spacer out?

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am going to do my water pump on saterday will take a pic or 2 for all of those with a series 1 like me!!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Good luck, dude :D When you're buying the new pump at bursons or repco, just ask them whether or not the pump comes with a spacer, and whether it's required for installation. Could be a different type of gasket. I'm not sure :)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
No you need to re-use the spacer unless a new one comes with the pump but i don't think it does. It has 2 gaskets with the pump for cars that have the spacer. Also has a adaptor shim for the pulley as they're different on some motors (ecotec's i believe)

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the pump only came with the 1 gasket, the bloke at sprintauto said try to leave the spacer undisturbed and i sould be right, im guessing that leaving it undisturbed while getting the pump off and then cleaning the face may be a pain in the ass, might try putting 2 bolts back in while i cleaning the face. thanks for the tips!! :thumbsup:

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 W\P

Ok ive finished putting my new water pump on, It take's a bit longer to do than a series 2 due to that F'ing spacer,
you will never be able to get the pump off without disturbing the spacer gasket,
so make sure you have a gasket making sheet this will make life easier follow Morton instruction's to the T and you shouldn't go wrong. Here are some pic's!!

Here is the otherside had the same as u Morton, started to grind into the spacer.
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

And finally my finished product!!
Picture025.jpg

Thank's for all the tip's and help!!!!:thumbsup:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah the pump only came with the 1 gasket, the bloke at sprintauto said try to leave the spacer undisturbed and i sould be right, im guessing that leaving it undisturbed while getting the pump off and then cleaning the face may be a pain in the ass, might try putting 2 bolts back in while i cleaning the face. thanks for the tips!! :thumbsup:

What brand was the pump all the powermax ones we use come with 2 gaskets. Thats pretty **** i've got about 5 spare gaskets at home and work