Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Wheels on a 2006 VE VS6

Holden on for info

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
Can I change my Wheels on VE SV6 2006 to 18x7.5 5-120 Stud Pattern 73.1mm Centre Bore (+44ET) 6"backspace 2.5"frontspace 60⁰ Taper seat wheel nuts they are the wheels I have found available but guy at tyre shop told ne I can only have low profile tyres on my VE because that's what they came out with and the brake system stops ppl being able to put standard wheels on my car . I just don't like the uncomfortable ride that low profile tyres deliver . And advice muchly appreciated. I think the wheels I've given the details for are interceptors

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have VZ Monaro 18s on mine with 245/45s.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
The ve hub centre is only 66.9mm. 73.1mm is too big without running hub centric rings. What wheels are they from?

You can 100% run a larger profile tyre on your car. Go see someone from a proper tyre shop and they'll tell you what wheel size you need to run to use a tyre with the profile you want.

Your brakes on the sv6 shouldn't be big enough to stop you running evoke wheels or similar.

ideally you want the new wheel and tyre combo height to match the height of your old set up. This will mean a smaller diameter wheel with increased profile to suit.
Can I change my Wheels on VE SV6 2006 to 18x7.5 5-120 Stud Pattern 73.1mm Centre Bore (+44ET) 6"backspace 2.5"frontspace 60⁰ Taper seat wheel nuts they are the wheels I have found available but guy at tyre shop told ne I can only have low profile tyres on my VE because that's what they came out with and the brake system stops ppl being able to put standard wheels on my car . I just don't like the uncomfortable ride that low profile tyres deliver . And advice muchly appreciated. I think the wheels I've given the details for are interceptors

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

18" wheels aren't "interceptors" as such..."interceptors", or wheels fitted to police cars were 16" wheels....

VE's did come with 16" wheels, fitted with 225/60X16 tyres

If you are fitting 18" wheels, you'll need 245/45X18 to keep the overall diametre correct.

What size rims do you currently have fitted?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
What size tyres are you running now?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You'll have to use whatever the tire placard states.
Otherwise, you'll have to change the tire placard to maintain legality. (Roadworthiness and insurance requirements)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Dunno about TAS, but in NSW ....... " You must not fit wheels with rim widths less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. "
VE SV6 came with 18 x 8, so 18 X 7.5 is not approved.
Of course, you could argue about the term "model" meaning, and what about fitting the different size spare.

Interceptors = steelies ?.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dunno about TAS, but in NSW ....... " You must not fit wheels with rim widths less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. "
VE SV6 came with 18 x 8, so 18 X 7.5 is not approved.
Of course, you could argue about the term "model" meaning, and what about fitting the different size spare.

Interceptors = steelies ?.

My understanding with wheels is, any that were fitted by the factory to that model are suitable to fit, but others say different....So I duck away from it now.

And yes, interceptors are steelies in my opinion, as that is generally what is fitted to police cars... :)

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VE came with 16” through to 20”.
Bigger wheels were optioned on many as the 20” Super Sports are a testament to.

Go some 17” Berlina rims.