Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Channel 7 Reporting of Old Holdens being pushed off the road

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Last edited:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I watched it the other night, a bit exaggerated tbh. Yes some parts are getting harder to find, but most parts are still available if you know where to look. Hell there’s even companies like Rare Spares making reproduction parts for a lot of models. (Which they didn’t mention, strangely enough)

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Market value for a standard VE is about $6K. Any decent accident and insurance companies would rather write it off than repair it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Most of the larger insurance companies like Aami own their own wreckers, others have contracts for guaranteed parts. They did this as it was cheaper for them to fix the cars than to pay them out. Issue is, people are holding onto their newish cars longer and handing them down, and cars are getting safer so less write offs/accidents. For older Holdens, its harder for them to cover you for comprehensive and find a car like for like. Yes, some people may still be able to find body panels here and there. But is Vero or Alliance gonna give you life time repair warranty on a clapped out hood where the panel beater has to dig out rust in the corners before spraying it up ? Like who does the body moulding and side trims these day ???

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Channel 7 will be Reporting of Old Holdens being pushed off the road,
and possibly being written off if involved in a accident,
It did show a VN or VP in the article,
You have to wonder how far back they are going to proceed with this result.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1180593193284079?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=0NULKw

the bloke with the facial fuzz and the VP ex chaser (its got a 5.0 auto in it) is the president of our car club
Holden car club that is here in Vic

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Bit of bog and fibreglass tape would sort out that bumper :) People need to start getting more creative and treating these like old cars. Plastic welding becoming common too these days. Also an opportunity for fabricators to fill the void. I will never forget how an older bloke I worked with years ago was able to get the metallic fisheye installed on his cluster background on an old Chrysler. Looked just like factory and thought he would never be able to get someone to fabricate it for him.

The other crazy thing is the price of Ecotecs nearly matching L67's with the slap on Turbo craze....gone are the days of getting one for $250......

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
the bloke with the facial fuzz and the VP ex chaser (its got a 5.0 auto in it) is the president of our car club
Holden car club that is here in Vic
Did see that.

I’m in the stages of waiting on an assessor to let me know what to go is with my VF Redline, hit a roo a month back, bonnet, grills, bumper, headlights, side panel & driver’s door all need replacing.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Did see that.

I’m in the stages of waiting on an assessor to let me know what to go is with my VF Redline, hit a roo a month back, bonnet, grills, bumper, headlights, side panel & driver’s door all need replacing.
Yes, They do make a mess of things.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yes, They do make a mess of things.
oh yes.... and usually the roo wins!

One of the many I have dealt with as fleet manager at work ...
RedRoo 1, ZB 0
CClode_Acc 26Aug19#2.jpg