Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Charcoal Canister flushing and inspection HOW TO

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Yours might be a non serviceable type just replace don`t repair

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I think the VT V6 had it underbody near the fuel tank. It is a square unit as opposed to the round one as pictured first post. V8 may be the same but unsure. Then again, that is off the top of my head and I may very well be wrong.

I also noticed people wanted to know where to relocate the charcoal canister in VN/VR/VS models. A good place is to hide it under the drivers side guard. It can be well hidden under the plastic and tidies up the engine bay that little bit more.

i have a vs v8 and its in the same spot in the v6's

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Good simple writeup.

What's the rationale behind flushing the charcoal canister? Does it reduce emissions or are there other effects?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

rod3185

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
can they make your car run bad if blocked?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Rod as far as i know you can just run the car without it and it's not illeagal such as removing a catylictic convertor. I had some lines hanging down in my bay and i asked what they were and bloke say charcoal can, don't worry bout it ?

rod3185

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
oh ok fun_bucket, my cars been running bad lately because of the canister purge solenoid, i would hate to see what mine would run like without the charcoal canister lol

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Rod as far as i know you can just run the car without it and it's not illeagal such as removing a catylictic convertor. I had some lines hanging down in my bay and i asked what they were and bloke say charcoal can, don't worry bout it ?
What about ADR 27A every car built after mid 76 has a charcoal canister isn't it a part of the emission control systems?
It would be a defect if one was to be anal about it, its mentioned in the modification guides that it should be there.

rod3185

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i dont think the cars emissions would be any higher coming out the exhaust pipe without the charcoal canister, but there would probably be a smell of fuel under the bonnet maybe even in the car. but thats just my oppinion

bonkers99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comm exec
the charcoal canister is part of a road worthy requirement as it is for fuel vapours that build up in the fuel tank they get directed to the canister and filtered if I'm not mistaken