Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charcoal canister

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's not restrictive in any way, leaving it attached won't cost you any power.

Adr27a can't be right as the vs (well after 1976) comes std without egr, don't know what's going on there?

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation. You're right, the VS doesn't have EGR, but the charcoal canister doesn't deal with exhaust gasses and neither does the PCV.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Is this really possible? Im pretty sure that back in the 60s or something all cars had vented fuel caps to stop the tank from over pressurising.

Pretty sure back in the 60's the fuel wasn't quite as well refined and volatile as it is now.... but really the carbon canister makes 1/10th of sfa difference to the engine running, it's only there to relieve vapor into the engine instead of vapors hanging about elsewhere, there's no pressure relief in a sealed efi system is there? kinda figured it was sealed for a reason, but it is a commodore so anything vb-vs the vapor lines will be ####ed anyway.
I actually miss the pre 74 cars i used to own but the smell of fuel, (lack of heating and aussie ac) I do not miss since the phase to lrp and then nothing but ulp, actually had to drive them..... ah nostalgia.

Last edited:

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
It's not restrictive in any way, leaving it attached won't cost you any power.

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation. You're right, the VS doesn't have EGR, but the charcoal canister doesn't deal with exhaust gasses and neither does the PCV.

Was just pointing out that that design rule isn't right

Anthony S

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VR ute auto
Can a faulty canister cause the motor to stall at idle?
I’m chasing a “ stall and won’t start again for hours” problems... it’s doing my head in! Fuel pump seems good and doesn’t throw any fault codes on scanner ‍♂️♂️♂️

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I doubt it. Sounds more like a CAS, if V6. If it's a V8 then there are a couple of other common problems that make it not run.

Anthony S

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VR ute auto
I doubt it. Sounds more like a CAS, if V6. If it's a V8 then there are a couple of other common problems that make it not run.

Thanks mate
It’s a V6 and CAS already been replaced and not throwing a code
It will run occasionally and stay running if you’re giving it throttle but dies after about 30sec on idle

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could be a TPS. Sometimes CAS won't throw a code and same with TPS.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I agree with Losh, TPS sounds like the culprit.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Can a faulty canister cause the motor to stall at idle?
I’m chasing a “ stall and won’t start again for hours” problems... it’s doing my head in! Fuel pump seems good and doesn’t throw any fault codes on scanner ‍♂️♂️♂️
If it happens 5 minutes after starting engine (when purge valve opens), perhaps there is a vacuum leak - hose off?