Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charging (maintenance) Wagon battery

konygen

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Wagon
Anyone manage to charge the battery (with ctek) in the wagon? Can you charge it directly from the connections hooked up in the back or best to remove connections? I've seen a BMW video say you should charge it from the connections at the front.under the hood and not the battery in the back.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
Plug in under the hood as shown:
Optimized-IMG_20210329_133330.jpg

The battery itself has a sensor module that is bypassed if the maintainer is connected directly to the battery. If connected improperly, the module must be recalibrated.
Proper Battery Charging
If a low battery SOC is preventing the OTA update installation, the 12V battery should be charged to meet the target SOC of 70 percent.

On some GM models, connecting the battery charger directly to the 12V battery posts will bypass the Battery Sensor Module, resulting in a default SOC value of 65 percent and a “Conditions Not Met” message.

TIP: The Battery Sensor Module (Fig. 5) is attached directly to the battery negative terminal. It determines the battery condition by calculating the battery SOC, functions, and state of health, which is used to help determine if the 12V Stop/Start system will allow an Auto Stop when the vehicle has come to a stop. To properly charge the battery, the negative lead of the charger must be connected to chassis ground, and not directly to the negative battery post. Connecting to chassis ground allows current to flow through the Battery Sensor Module during charging as well as be monitored. Connecting directly to the negative battery post charges the battery, but the current cannot be monitored by the Battery Sensor Module.

Fig. 5
F05-OTA-3.png

If a battery is improperly charged, the Battery Sensor Learn will be required to calibrate the Battery Sensor Module. With the ignition off, let the vehicle rest for a minimum of four hours without any interruptions (opening a door, using the key fob, etc.). Verify if the battery SOC is 70 percent or greater using GDS 2 before attempting to continue with an OTA update.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i always connect it directly to the battery but i never start the vehicle with it connected.

the main reason for this is because the charger its self has its own sensor and if you connect it through the vehicles electrical system it could get false readings and cause the charger to improperly charge/over charge the battery.

konygen

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Wagon
Great stuff... thank you.

The manual says not to charge over 14.6, whereas the Ctek AGM function charges to 14.7. Presumably it's a none issue

I actually called the Holden dealer after posting and they said to disconnect the battery and charge directly to the battery, I hesitated given there's numerous boxes attached. Had no idea what I was doing.

As a side, my HUD stopped working some time ago, and during a service, dealer said they had no idea why and that they would need to book it in and remove the whole dash to fix it. Minimum 2 days. Something I wanted to avoid.

Sure enough I disconnected one of the battery connectors for a few moments just now, before replacing it and the HUD is now working. incredible.

Last edited:

konygen

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Wagon
One other thing I noticed when I disconnected and reconnected the battery and started the car, the voltage meter area on the dash started out with a different feature showing an 'Accel & Brk meter' for approximately 5 seconds before switching to the regular voltage meter

Anyone familiar with this feature and how to make it permanent?