Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charging problem

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
hey, i have recently had my alternator recon'd with a new reg and clean out etc.. i bought a new battery and am still having trouble with battery going flat after two three nights of not starting.. the new battery is a supercharge brand 520cca, and has one of those water bubbles which change colour, it turned red (which says needs to be checked) not long after i put it in car, i took it back to autobahn and he tested the charging system charging at 13.82v so he said the battery should be fine, any ideas what i can try??

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if ur alt is charging fine then sounds like ur system must b drawing current somwhere? but do keep in mind even new regs do fail b4 they r even fitted.

ideally ur charging system should b charging at 14-14.4V with no accessories on.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
sounds like something is draining power, check things like glove box light, boot light and any after market accessories. or take it back to the workshop and see if they can check this. or if you have a multimeter set it to DC amps and disconnect the negative battery terminal then put the multimeter in series and if the reading is more than 0.05amps then something is draining the battery.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
alright ill try get ahold of a multimeter this weekend and test it.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
An indication of something drawing current if you can't get a ammeter of multimeter is disconnect the battery with the ignition key off and then reconnect is. If there is a draw somewhere you'll get a small spark. Radio's and courtesy lights (the boot light is another) are common causes as above.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have just bought a multimeter from ebay, awaiting its arrival. i drove the car to cricket on saturday and then home sat night, mid afternoon sunday the alarm went off! so i had to unlock car. anyway monday morning the battery was dead flat! it took me so so long to jump start it, took it for a quick fang out the road, come back and the battery seemed fine. i have two amps in the boot, one for sub and one for car speakers, would these drain the battery?

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
providing your amps are trigger via head unit correctly and aren't always on, they will not be killing your battery..

your battery has a built in hydrometer (the little window showing you the 'red thingy') which is indicating a poor condition in the batter. sulfation or stratification may have occured, or a dry cell existed.

regardless, that built in hydrometer is only representive of one cell, and more may be effected. rendering you battery useless, and only able to sustain a peak charge for a short time.

If this condition existed when you purchased the battery or shortly after, it should be covered under warranty as it ithe the batter components at fault.
what's the manufactured date on the batter by chance?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
its a supercharge battery, there is a few numbers written on it, only thing that resembles a date says 041708. the remote wires are hooked up to the head unit and the lights on the amp only come on when car is turned on. battery is only two months old and has a warranty.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
its a supercharge battery, there is a few numbers written on it, only thing that resembles a date says 041708. the remote wires are hooked up to the head unit and the lights on the amp only come on when car is turned on. battery is only two months old and has a warranty.

Take it back mate. It's not your problem to nut out, do an exchange. They can deal with the manufacturer.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so i borrowed a multimeter, still waiting on ebay one to arrive, took neg off put on amps 20 on multimeter, and reading was -11.62 does that make any sense im no good with multimeters