Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charging problem

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
Got an issue with a vp v6 wondering if anybody has dealt with the same issue which has happened a few times over the past few months....

Car stalls out of nowhere while driving. Dash lights come on. After trying to start back up it won't kick as if the battery is flat

Put a new alternator and battery and was driving perfect for a couple months now I've encountered the same problem driving back from work..
Car started fine, left work, 5 mins later lost power and stalled, wouldn't start back up just tries to turn over and starts clicking.

Any idea what's causing this frustrating issue?
Thanks in advance

UPDATE: tried jump starting, kicks fine but won't fire up

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Check that your battery earths are clean and tight. If it happens again try earthing directly from the battery negative to the block with a jumper lead- if it's an earth problem this will temporarily fix it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah, I was also thinking check the battery clamps.
Had them cause more dramas than anything else on my car.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You need to check & clean battery terminals & earths , especially the main earth in the front of the engine bay just to the left of the battery.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also check the battery charging fuse. But having said that the alt light will soon come on if the alt fuse is damaged, so probably not that.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Also check the starter motor,may be a problem there.
We fitted a new Starter to a VP Charity Rally car,there was a intermittant problem where car would stall,new fuel pump and different injectors fixed that,but the reason it wouldn't start again was the Starter Motor.Even though new there was a problem with the armature wiring and it wouldn't spin in certain positions and just click.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
I replaced earths with heavier gauge wire years ago and get 0.01 ohms on my fluke.

It fixes a lot of things especially on VNs as well as promting longer life in the cooling system I believe due to less electrochemical degradation of the system etc.