Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charging problems

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Right then
I bought a VY 3.8 cheap for my son, was told alternators not charging as the battery leads had been connected to the wrong battery terminals. Car starts and drives but isn't charging and turns over very slow even with a good battery, the alternator would start to smoke after a short time.
Replaced alternator with one from a wreckers.
Still turns over very slowly and is not charging but no smoke from alternator now.
Have checked fuses and all are good, visually inspected wiring and cant find any burnt, damaged on loose wires. Everything else appears to be working fine expect the radio.
Could the alternator from the wreckers be no good, how can I check this on the bench with a multi meter and what else could be causing these problems.
Much appropriate your help, thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is a fusible link in the charge/voltage sensing wire that runs from the battery to the alternator. I think it's the little white wire running from the battery terminal, test it for continuity.

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Thanks, I have tested the wires and also tried a link straight to the battery to excite the alternator, havent started with link as still only just turning over and clicking at starter motor, only getting 11.7v at starter solenoid wire when turn the key 12.6 at main starter feed.
So need to know where to look for the voltage drop. Have checked ground straps and are good

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Have sorted slow turn over (replaced starter motor) but alternator is still not putting out any current.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Have sorted slow turn over (replaced starter motor) but alternator is still not putting out any current.
Take the alternator back to where you bought it from. Get another one.

See if you have the same problem?

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Have you load tested the battery?
Sounds like it might be cactus?
yes. I am using a new battery I bought from another car ( starts ls1 in my HQ easy) I replace starter motor and turns over normally now but still not charging.
Thanks

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Take the alternator back to where you bought it from. Get another one.

See if you have the same problem?
Will do that today and a mate is also looking to see if he has a spare one I can try. wouldnt be the 1st time wreckers sold me rubbish.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have you tested the alternator output at the alternator and again at the battery? You should be getting 13.6 to 14.5 volts....

I'd be doing this before saying you got a crappy alternator from the wreckers

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Ok mate managed to find a good working alternator, swapped it over and its charging 14.7v to the battery. So wreckers sold me something that doesn't work, for the price they charge they should have tested it before wasting my time.
Good to know that everything else still works after battery connected to the wrong terminals.
Thanks for the help