Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chasing 375kw on my ls2

Fudgedmihuggies

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ clubsport
Good afternoon all.
So I'm currently in the process of getting quotes on getting my lazy ls2 with 265000kms on the clock rebuilt.
I'm no mechanic and this being my first build is rather noticeable when I walk into some of these mechanics workshops.
I have a budget of around 10k (which is not much I know) and not wanting to do anything with the bottom end except rebuild it/ freshen her up.
With so many options out there on what to do to get these types of numbers I'm overwhelmed by it all and was hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction.
I have not yet hit the drag strip nor do I believe I ever will as I'm fearful of being bitten by that expensive bug, so in saying this she needs to be "streetable" as once the build is complete she will only be a weekender/show pony.
From the research I've done thus far it seems just some minor head work and a half decent cam will get me there but was wanting to know what should be done to get these figures reliably and if it can be done with the budget I have.
I went into one shop yesterday and he was wanting to put forged pistons in her which in my non educated opinion is an expense not needed for the minor gains I'm chasing with a minor cam upgrade of 114 degrees, an x-force exhaust system and some minor upgrades with valve springs etc and dyno time/tuning which ate my budget like it was a snack.
I would love to be able to reverse anything I do as it is to my understanding the model car I have is becoming more and more desirable since Holden's sad announcement in the off chance I ever want to let her go ( I'd have to be on my death bed for that)
In saying this in the future when either the wallet or the wife allows me to I'd love to be able to bolt on a small supercharger as that whine has got me and pulled my heartstrings.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Manual or auto? Any current mods like otr/extractors/tune/exhaust? These mods will put a dent in budget,with right parts even stock ls2 will rip well
Can you do the work or all paid labour?

Quite like the vz ls2/4l65(?) setups but need not to get caught up in dyno figures but moreso suitable combination of parts so car drives like you wanted.

CHE did fair bit of dyno testing & drag racing with good results for customers with modded ls2 cammed cars a few years ago...think they developed a similar cam with better results for ve-vf 6l with stock stally/diff gears,good power & drivability.

Do a google search dyno graphs,forum threads or yt clips may still pop up.

Fudgedmihuggies

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ clubsport
Manual or auto? Any current mods like otr/extractors/tune/exhaust? These mods will put a dent in budget,with right parts even stock ls2 will rip well
Can you do the work or all paid labour?

Quite like the vz ls2/4l65(?) setups but need not to get caught up in dyno figures but moreso suitable combination of parts so car drives like you wanted.

CHE did fair bit of dyno testing & drag racing with good results for customers with modded ls2 cammed cars a few years ago...think they developed a similar cam with better results for ve-vf 6l with stock stally/diff gears,good power & drivability.

Do a google search dyno graphs,forum threads or yt clips may still pop up.
yeah g'day mate.
soo as she sits she is bog stock with no mods what so ever (except for what ever hsv do from their factory)
She is an auto.
While I'm not too fussed on figures its just a ball park number im chasing of around the 375kws.. a little more would be sweet but know that every dyno is different.
I honestly don't know what I am doing so unless a mechanic is more than happy to have me in his shop in my spare time to help out all labour would be done in the shop due to lack of space, tools, time and experience.
I was looking at going to speak with either Sam's performance or castle hill exhaust to have a chat with them but rather hesitant as I previously stated in my original post its pretty obvious I really don't know what im on about.
The last bloke I spoke with was more than happy to go the most expensive options like forged pistons when from what I've read is not necessary.
Hence why I'm reaching out to you fine people for some education

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust, otrcai, tune. An earlier ve auto that I owned with those mods put out about 344 fwkw. The ls2 should get about 10 kw less due to the ve's better cylinder heads. Talk to a cam maker about what you are after. Alternatively have a look at the range that they offer. Don't go to big or you could wind up with something that's a pig to drive. Forged pistons for that setup are an overkill, don't waste your money.
Alternatively forget about the cam and go with the extractors, exhaust, otrcai and tune. The power increase is quite significant and will be smoother to drive with better economy. On the drag strip my ve did the 1/4 in 13.5 and that was taking off from idle.

Fudgedmihuggies

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ clubsport
Extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust, otrcai, tune. An earlier ve auto that I owned with those mods put out about 344 fwkw. The ls2 should get about 10 kw less due to the ve's better cylinder heads. Talk to a cam maker about what you are after. Alternatively have a look at the range that they offer. Don't go to big or you could wind up with something that's a pig to drive. Forged pistons for that setup are an overkill, don't waste your money.
Alternatively forget about the cam and go with the extractors, exhaust, otrcai and tune. The power increase is quite significant and will be smoother to drive with better economy. On the drag strip my ve did the 1/4 in 13.5 and that was taking off from idle.
Thanks heaps for the input Keith.
I was hesitant in putting a bigger cam in as (while I know very little about building cars) I be hearing from a lot of different people that they can be pigs to get up and go. In saying this could I put a cam in now for a future supercharger or would it be too much of a pig and not cope without it?
And if so who should I speak to that's reputable and point me in the right direction or would either of the two preferred engine builders be able to help there also (being either Sam's performance or castle hill performance)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
"Future supercharger"?
Forged pistons just came back in to the equation.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Toss the cathedral port heads for the later heads off a Holden 6lt L98, L76, L77 (the ones without DOD, I can’t remember now which they were)

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Honest freshen the bottom end inc all new cam bearings etc as above l98 heads with a small port and shave for better comp.

Being a auto smallish cam and small hi stall say 2500 and your done and your 10k is done.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I think you need to sit back and ask yourself what you really want and why. If you do decide to go ahead with the modifications suggested had you given any thought to improved braking and handling? The vz r8 came out with 4 pot callipers, they would be a bolt on and far superior to your current set up especially with ceramic pads.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I went into one shop yesterday and he was wanting to put forged pistons in her... in the future when either the wallet or the wife allows me to I'd love to be able to bolt on a small supercharger as that whine has got me and pulled my heartstrings...
I think you need to sit back and ask yourself what you really want and why...
^ this ^

Not surprised you’re being quoted for forged pistons if you mention supercharging to an engine builder. They may simply be trying to help you to prepare the block for future supercharging and reduce having to pull the engine out and work on the block twice.