Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chasing 375kw on my ls2

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are different types of alloy used in forged pistons so if ur not going all out just stick with the 4032 alloy as they will seal better for cold starts and be better for daylie, if ur pushing 15+psi and decent rpm and want to give it hell u then go to the 2618 alloy, bottom end can easily be some forged pistons and keep stock crank and maby do rods then all machining and bearings and its good to go, im doing an all out LS2 boost build at the moment and didnt want to ever worry about strength and i can tell u its not cheap, if u go boost and u are going to build engine then u have to make clearances to suit which u dont need as much if ur staying n/a so u have to look at ur end goal and suit it to that, also keep stock heads for boost if ur not going all out they will be fine then u have to think fuel system to support power goal also

Fudgedmihuggies

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ clubsport
Many thanks for all your input thus far to you all.
After consulting the budget/missus lol I'm starting to feel while I want a supercharger (for the sexy whine they make) it may not be a viable option.
Given this being my first build and first v8 I'll be more then happy to achieve the 375kws naturally aspirated and if the whine is an absolute necessity perhaps put a gilmer drive on her.
In saying this if I were to take the option of putting a gilmer on it would I lose power or would it help get the power down more efficiently?
Once again I'm no mechanic and just thinking of the final product and trying to chase half decent power while also rebuilding the whole motor due to its age.
As for handling/braking I was considering upgrading to an r8 setup but was curious as to if it would be enough to pull her up? Also would I need to upgrade sway bars and suspension setup to cope with the extra power or would the stock setup be enough?
Please keep in mind I don't really plan on thrashing her and only drive like a grandpa but still want a pretty safe, reliable and mean weekender.
Again thank you all for taking the time in helping me/pointing me in the right direction and trying to keep it within budget.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
gilmer drive on an LS is alot of coin just for a whine, u have to replace all pulleys to suit and there are no gains in power at all, depending on brands u could prob spend a couple thousand easy

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I think your biggest dilemma is putting a kw figure you want to achieve.
If you can forget about that you can build a fun and tidy car that you will enjoy.

For driveability a smaller cam, an exhaust, tune and the likes (so nothing too out there) would most likely make you happy.
Make it sound nice, make it have a bit of go and you're all set.
But add the tightening up for handling and better braking and it'll be an all round nice driver.

Personally, I do have a Supercharged LS2 (2.9L whipple). It has a big cam and a few other things to suit.
Its loud, its obnoxious and its not the nicest to drive unless you can properly cruise along (clutch leg can get a work out)
For as much as the power is nice to have, you will worry about breaking parts.
You will be hassled by morons who want to race you, or drag you from the lights.
While the whine is nice, it comes at a cost, one which if you haven't driven such before is not fun.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Many thanks for all your input thus far to you all.
After consulting the budget/missus lol I'm starting to feel while I want a supercharger (for the sexy whine they make) it may not be a viable option.
Given this being my first build and first v8 I'll be more then happy to achieve the 375kws naturally aspirated and if the whine is an absolute necessity perhaps put a gilmer drive on her.
In saying this if I were to take the option of putting a gilmer on it would I lose power or would it help get the power down more efficiently?
Once again I'm no mechanic and just thinking of the final product and trying to chase half decent power while also rebuilding the whole motor due to its age.
As for handling/braking I was considering upgrading to an r8 setup but was curious as to if it would be enough to pull her up? Also would I need to upgrade sway bars and suspension setup to cope with the extra power or would the stock setup be enough?
Please keep in mind I don't really plan on thrashing her and only drive like a grandpa but still want a pretty safe, reliable and mean weekender.
Again thank you all for taking the time in helping me/pointing me in the right direction and trying to keep it within budget.
I have had 4 pot callipers on the front and rear of a vt clubsport that are now on my vh. I put brembos on the front and back of a ve ss ute I once owned. They came standard on a previously owned vz r8. The ve redline I now own has them standard on the front however I have brembos yet to be fitted on the rear. Putting ceramic pads on does make a difference. At no stage ever were these brakes not good enough. 4 pot callipers will be plenty good enough for you until you go serious racing on the track and even then you have the option of racing pads. Have a look at what someone like Whiteline put out suspension wise, they should have you pretty much covered.
However it is what you plan to do with the car should be the deciding factor on what you do with the brakes and suspension. You might find an upgrade to ceramic pads might be enough, they certainly make a difference. The vz's handle reasonably well standard as long as all the suspension parts are in good order.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Going from stocker to otr/extractors/cats/exhaust/tune/diff gears would a big jump up performance if it's your first v8....you'll want to drive it everyday.

cam/heads/stally/gears will be more than enough for a weekender & do 11's (both kinds)

If serious with coin go visit CHE or Russo's for proper chat but you'll need to be clear on budget & expectations.

Fudgedmihuggies

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ clubsport
Going from stocker to otr/extractors/cats/exhaust/tune/diff gears would a big jump up performance if it's your first v8....you'll want to drive it everyday.

cam/heads/stally/gears will be more than enough for a weekender & do 11's (both kinds)

If serious with coin go visit CHE or Russo's for proper chat but you'll need to be clear on budget & expectations.
Thanks heaps.
I was putting this out there for when I have more education on what I was wanting to do so to not look so foolish when walking into see either che or sams performance.
I've owned this beast for going on 3 years now and have put 110000kms on her with both highway and around town driving her everyday.
While I enjoy driving her I really hate other road users and their lack of respect for other peoples **** (been involved in a hit and run... not my fault) hence why it will only be a weekender.
I'm kind of getting over the power or the lack of response to what power she has hence why I was looking at beefing her up to around the 375kw mark.
To be honest the more I speak with you guys the more I realise how far my budget wont be going towards getting what I originally wanted but then I was less educated then as well.
So my question now is can I get the 375kws on a budget of 10k with a complete engine rebuild at the same time with it needing to be reliable and safe?
Or am I dreaming and should hold off a while longer?
I mean with a complete engine rebuild even to slightly stronger specs then original would simple add ons like exhaust and a tune get me at least close to the figures im chasing? Even if I get close i'd be happy but with her currently at 297kws she really don't feel all that powerful 3 years on from purchase.
Once again guys I truly appreciate you all taking the time talking to me about all of this.
I totally understand that everyone has different views on what should or shouldn't be done.
Ultimately id love more power with a lot more response, so long as its reliable.... If I can get a whine in the process bonus but I have let that go as my budget wont allow it nor will my tolerance for other road users ;)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u just want to rebuild it go a 383~ stroker it will give u better torque and stay reliable (cubes getting towards 400+ with 4" bore will shorten longevity but builders usually dont tell u that) or if its just a weekender go 402ci and get more torque, then just a good street cam to suit and should be right to go, would be in the 10k+ area tho depending on parts u want to use and all the machining/fitting/tuning ect

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vz is good starting point with ls2 & yeah it's possible to make that power although end result may not drive all that nice on 10k budget.

vcm otr $450-$550 (mace seem to cheapest)
pacemakers $680 for tri-y $895 for 1/34 or 1 7/8 (bestmufflers.com)
100-200 cell cats $400-$500 easy
x-force or redback 2.5" $500 3" stainless x-forcs $650-$900 with varex
n/a stocker tune $900'ish from decent workshop
diff gears $1k

4-5k up there if you chase up new parts then add labour

cam/springs/lifters + other stuff car may need could eat up the rest of the money...guess that's anywhere from 270-290rwkw.It may not seem much on a dyno graph or fb post but when done right & usable it'll more than enough for grandpa street driving.

Blower kit like whipple be $10-12k for kit then add ons + labour

Most are content to stay n/a with otr/tune/full exhaust & diff gears after they tall it all up lol

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i took my VF in for full exhaust, OTR and tune. the transformation was more than enough for me and I had plenty of change out of $10k.

I vote for this route OP, i think you'll be surprised.