Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cheap air filters

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Acclaim storm grey
hey all i live in brissie & where would be the best/cheapest place to buy a K&n airfilter from & how much horse power/kwatts will that give me thanks to all

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
You can find the old K&N filters at all good automotive outlets,and some bad ones,it's the bad ones that you will end up paying more at.Go from store to store and buy the one that is the lowest in price,power gains are negligible.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Just replace your standard air filter regularly.

K&N doesn't give you anymore power, just less cash in the wallet and more hassle washing them.

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
ohhh ok well how come people say that they give you more performance & all that stuff

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
HVXII said:
ohhh ok well how come people say that they give you more performance & all that stuff
They like to think they get value for their money?

Think of it this way...

How does any air filter flow better? It's less restrictive, and not catching as much dust. You think letting in more dust will help your performance in the long run?

A K&N may be marginally better brand new, than a standard filter brand new, but it doesn't take long for the things to get dirty. Problem is with washable ones, is that you'll never get them as clean as a new one, so you're losing effectiveness from the time you put it in. A standard filter is dirt cheap, flows just as well and is replaceable so you get a fully effective one each time you buy one.

There are alot of people who will argue either side of the argument. From personal experience, I've used both plenty of times, and I noticed no difference whatsoever. If you're going to invest money on your air intake, buy a cold air intake, you will definitely get an increase with that.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have a K&N filter in my car, power gain not noticable, put makes a better roaring sound if you mod up the filter box. Otherwise $100 is a waste, stick with standard ones.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I also bought a k & n filter and i disagree. i noticed better throttle response down low. I don't know if it makes any difference that mine is a manual, but mine was noticeable and yes my original filter was about a month old so it wasn't that. didn't notice anything higher up in the rev range though

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
spice weasel (BAM) said:
I also bought a k & n filter and i disagree. i noticed better throttle response down low. I don't know if it makes any difference that mine is a manual, but mine was noticeable and yes my original filter was about a month old so it wasn't that. didn't notice anything higher up in the rev range though
I guess it all depends on what other mods you may have done to your car.

I have extractors, exhaust and CAI and it made no difference having the K&N in there. If you're running a stocker, then I can see how you may have got a noticeable increase. IMO the cost doesn't warrant the gains, there are much better options for guaranteed power increase around that pricepoint.

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
what are some other cheap ways to get a bit more power? i have a standard vt and i wanna get a bit more up and go,

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah same got a standart VX S2