Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap coilovers

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have DMS 40mm Street series. Monotube. $3400 on special. Regualr price is $4k. And they are the entry level of decent coilovers. Talk to GSL rallysport, but anything less than $2000 in a coilover, you may as well get a good spring / shock combo.

Exactly what I was saying.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
MOTORSPORT INTRO

Proflex Shockabsorbers - mainindex

I don't see the point of the OP cheaping out and getting an average coilover kit if "he's serious".

Look at both sites and neither brand do an 'off the shelf' kit for VEs so not very helpful to the average road user.

Have you read the OP posts? Or for that matter the thread tittle?? CHEAP COILOVERS

I want to put coilovers on my clubby, this is purely for lowering it and better handling. Car will not see track use!

I'd rather spend my money on engine mods.

Hence why I said you want to aim at around the 2k for a fully adjustable street kit (off the shelf too) or buy the spring and shocks if the OP just wants to get low

Graceful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 clubsport
Appreciate the responses guys!
I'll be looking into a good spring/shock combo :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Look at both sites and neither brand do an 'off the shelf' kit for VEs so not very helpful to the average road user.

Have you read the OP posts? Or for that matter the thread tittle?? CHEAP COILOVERS

Hence why I said you want to aim at around the 2k for a fully adjustable street kit (off the shelf too) or buy the spring and shocks if the OP just wants to get low

Of course I read the title of the thread, as well as the op's first post (this is why I made a comment in regards to you suggestion).
At the end of the day a cheap coilover kit is wasted money....End of story.

Appreciate the responses guys!
I'll be looking into a good spring/shock combo :)

Good to hear Graceful, you will not be disappointed :)

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
plenty of people have used the XYZ, very happy with them, adr approved and rebuildable

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Of course I read the title of the thread, as well as the op's first post (this is why I made a comment in regards to you suggestion).
At the end of the day a cheap coilover kit is wasted money....End of story.

but ordering a custom racing suspension is not what the OP asked. That's like someone asking 'how do I get more power from a 5.7L?' and telling them 'don't bother being cheap, put a sonnys create motor in it'

Yes your right and a custom race setup would be the best but not gonna happen cos 4K ain't cheap

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
but ordering a custom racing suspension is not what the OP asked. That's like someone asking 'how do I get more power from a 5.7L?' and telling them 'don't bother being cheap, put a sonnys create motor in it'

Yes your right and a custom race setup would be the best but not gonna happen cos 4K ain't cheap

Who gives a damn?

Cheap coilovers are just that...CHEAP. How long before these cheap coilover kits need to be rebuild hmm? Don't forget to factor that in.

DMS need rebuilding on average every 60-70,000k's, also the DMS Gold series is an entry level street/track kit, not dedicated racing suspension. I can't comment on Proflex.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
plenty of people have used the XYZ, very happy with them, adr approved and rebuildable

Im looking at these and the Fulcrum/Superpro Tien kits.

Theyre both very similarly priced and offer pretty much the exact same thing in terms of adjustability.

Id personally go

TEIN Suspension

over the XYZ's though.

In the end how much is "cheap" These are your suspension components. You arent really going to get anything much cheaper than 1,500 and be of a quality id be trusting in your car.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Whatever you do, don't go with D2. They are well known in the import community as garbage.