Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap compressor for rare use

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like I said I doubt the cheap $200 compressor will do much at all.
It says 145 FAD if that's being generous and it only gives 120 it will still help the pressure come up quicker. I've been trying to find a SH direct drive for like 100 bucks but people seem to think that they are worth close to what they paid for them at SCA on special.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What is the normal pressure that compressors run at? I thought most of max out at 110.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
115psi is the norm. I managed to turn the screw a bit but only could get 122 before it let go and air pours out.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Some compressors are 10 Bar, 140+psi.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I wouldn’t be running it at any more than 110 psi. Much over that, and it’ll be generating plenty of excess heat, which will result in water buildup in the receiver.

Will also result in excessive wear in the compressor itself due to a combo of increased pressure, increased runtime and increased heat for every cycle.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Some compressors are 10 Bar, 140+psi.

Thought 10 bar was 150psi?
Coming from the Instrument background where 3-15 psi = 20-100 kpa and 1 bar is roughly 100 kpa (without getting all technical)
Only know those figures as I may have been the reason for safety overflows on a U Tube manometer :p

I feel that your idea of multiple compressors may actually work well for the purpose.
But id suggest you have it set up with 1 way valves to stop any potential back feeds.
Also if you can maybe set it up to go into a header tank.
So 2 compressors feed in via the 1 way valves (pressure regulated would also be ideal) to the header tank.

Another consideration is the current draw with having 2 compressors. If you have 2 power circuits may want to run them on seperate ones as there is the chance an inrush may trip the circuit breaker if on the same circuit.
As for the 3 phase off the VFD. I have done a similar set up before but on a table saw. Just had to be mindful of how heavily it was loaded and setting up ramp times etc to not pull too much current upfront.

And also check for any leaks you may currently have with soapy water.
You may find something is actually leaking which can cause a bit of air loss.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I saw that too. They've suddenly changed the colour scheme from grey to blue. Not sure if the compressor is the same or different. The rattle gun that came with mine couldn't undo a wheel nut. I thought the compressor was too small but then I found another gun on sale at repco for 55 bucks and it eats wheel nuts for breakfast!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lol. I have plenty of cheap air tools and some high end gear as well. If I could get the comp for around 200 I'd grab it. I'm not interested in taking up more shed space with junk air tools. Even more so now you have warned me on how poorly they work.