Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap kill switch, would this work?

<atomicL93>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5 speed (sold), VS wagon
Well last night i forgot to lock the back door, woke up and my car keys had disappeared off where i leave them, have searched everywhere and cant find them. bit worried now that it might get stolen. So i was thinking, if connected a switch to the wires that lead to the ignition fuse would that work as a kill switch?

6nick6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 2.0
Yes, a fuse is there to cut electrical current through the circuit if something goes wrong, so if you cut the wire that leads to the fuse and extend it under your dash and attach a switch somewhere hidden then lead it back to the fuse it should work.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If your car is an auto, an easier place to cut into the starting circuit would be to run a separate cut-out switch from your auto selector switch in the console. There are two heavy wires (I'm pretty sure they were purple back in those days) leading into and out of the switch, which is the starter solenoid feed. Unplug (or cut into) one of those wires and run them to your switch. (Just make sure you pick the correct wires first! I could well be wrong about the wires being purple.)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
yes it is two thick purple wires
you can find these running into the same relay mounted on the inner skirt near the battery.

when you do the manual conversion you simply remove the relay and bridge the two, for the abilaty to rid the netarul start switch

if your that parinoid at night, pop the bonnet and above the brake booster there are 2 plugs hung on top of the firewall,
disconnect the grey plug and the car wont start as that is the netrual circiut

<atomicL93>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5 speed (sold), VS wagon
Just hooked up a switch to the ignition fuse wire, tried it but didnt work. So connected it all back to normal.. Just gonna keep the ignition fuse outta it when its sitting at home

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
lol you really shouldnt tell everyone what/where your kill switch is... or how your hooking it up etc. i kno i wouldnt

uh huh, smart car theifs would surf forums like this to learn new info :bang: