Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CHEAP mechanical needed... Or assistance

Clovance

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2, built 1999, 3.8l V6
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right category to post my issue:

I've been at the workshop and the mechanic there told me i have to fix the following things:

- Front Brake Pads (76$ + 65$ lab.)
- oil leak - Rocker Cover Gasket (49$ + 115$ lab.)
- power steering leak, hose leak (184,95$ + 115$)
- 3 DR belt pulleys (39$ ea. + 92$ lab.)

What do you think, can i replace these things by myself?
I don't have a workshop, the only thing i could do is, to buy the needable tools.

What tools would i need to replace these things?

Is there anyone who would replace these things with me together for a cheaper price than the workshop?
I'm currently in Townsville but want to leave in the south as soon as possible.

Another question:
What happens, when i don't fix the leak of power steering?
Currently it works, but when it does not work anymore, am i be able to steer my car then although, but harder, or is my steering locked then and i crash into the next tree?
What exactly happens, when i don't replace the oil leak? Is the only thing that i loose oil?

I'm also a little bit confused about some sounds in the car engine, especially when i start the engine. It sounds like a stone is in the engine but only for a few seconds.

Do you know any hints and tricks where i shoild go to let these things repaired very cheaply?
Do you also know maybe a workshop i can rent in townsville to fix the things on my own?

Thanks in advance!

My regards
Alessandro

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Mate all those thing's can be easily done at home.
A genral socket set and a few screw driver's is all you would neeed.

I would be happy to help, But im a bit far away.

For the brake pad's, You will need a special tool too compress the piston.
But you can get away with using multi Grip's or simluar.

But, I'd give all these thing's a go first, It will save you $$ in the end.
Start with the easy stuff, Like rocker cover gasket and power steer line.
Then move onto the pully's and brake pad's.

There is a few 'How To's that may help you along the way

KTM mad

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon SII
i concurre!! thats real easy stuff to do! get down to your local super cheap auto or repco for parts and get stuck in!

and pretty much all ecotechs tick and make noises....

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
$115 Labour for Rocker Cover gaskets !! its a 10 Min Job, Jeez No wonder i hate mechanics and do every thing my self.

Id really recommend sending $50 on a Service manual if your not sure and are new to repairing cars.

As for the Special Tool for the Piston all you need is a G Clamp. I Made a How to here - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-front-brake-pad-change-how-detailed.119748

If you not sure of any of it, Best leave it or have a spare car so you can still drive to the shops incase you break something or its the wrong part lol

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I hate people who encourage others (who've never had any experience playing with their car), to start playing with brake components.

Sure, do the pulleys and gaskets yourself but leave the brakes to the professionals.

Excellent advice...

KTM mad

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon SII
if you have a manual, whats the problem? i mean, you can't learn about your car by taking it to a mechanic all the time! sure, if your really un confident then get them done by someone else, but if you've got some manual skills and something to follow, then have a crack. We can't let our society keep heading down the same path the mining industry has taken, and make everything so safe and regulated, that people are no longer willing/capable of problem solving or are too scared of any kind of rammefications of having a go and failing!. sometimes you have to take a calculated and thought out risk to learn something. If i was having a go at replacing my brake pads for the first time, id have a manual, i 'd prob ask for advice on a forum, i'd even talk to people around me about how to do it, and after i'd done the job,. i wouldn't be straight down the highway at 100+km/h to test em out either! id be content with checking them in the driveway, and then probably pulling a wheel off for a good look to make sure i'd done everything right!
\
if we all didnt try and learn something we didn't know anything about, we'd all still be wanking!

Clovance

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2, built 1999, 3.8l V6
Thanks!!!

Hey guys !

Thanks VERY VERY much for your replies! You safed my Australia trip ;)
Now i know what i was thinking about:
The fkng mechanics only want to get your money!

I'll do it by myself with the manuals given.

But there are still some questions:
What happens, when i don't fix the leak of power steering?
Currently it works, but when it does not work anymore, am i be able to steer my car then although, but harder, or is my steering locked then and i crash into the next tree?
What exactly happens, when i don't replace the oil leak? Is the only thing that i loose oil?
Are the power steering leak and the pulleys really so easy to repair?
I thought the brakes are easy and the rocker cover gaskets?

Thanks again for every reply!

My regards
Alessandro

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Quite often the leak is from the low pressure hose on the reservoir and simply tightening the clamp can fix it, so check that first. If the power steering fails you still have steering but it will be very hard.
If it is not a major leak, simply make sure that you keep the fluid level up and it should be fine for a while.