Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cheap sound deadning ??

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's, i'm looking for a cheap way to add some sound deadner to my boot, and parcel tray area. Now before i start, Dynamat, is out of the question due to it's price. I know you get what you pay for, but i'm on a tight budget for this install, so i'd like to look at some other options. Has anyone ever used carpet underlay? It comes it in different sizes, thickness ofcourse, and It seems quite dense. I've read an article where it was used to treat the parcel tray area, but they didnt go on to mention if it had any worthwile affects. I figure i can treat the entire boot area for a resonable price, any one have any suggestions or advice..? Oh and can you use anything on the inside of a sub box, or is the MDF best lest to it's own..:thumbsup: This stuff i'm thinking of, or similar, is sold on Ebay $60 for 15m x 1.2 m roll, or that foam style underlay.....??

Last edited:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I used similar kinda stuff under the parcel shelf of my vt, killed all the vibrations so I was happy. You could try it in the boot, dunno how much difference it would make tho.

There's a few different deadeners out there, quite a few cheaper than dynamat too. Whatever you do don't get that crap deadener from bunnings. Also I'm pretty sure Stone and a couple other guys have used RAAmat with good results, you have to import it but apparently works out fair cheaper than dynamat for the same results.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Another option which works fairly well is Flashtac, from your local bunnings or hardware store (hope this wasnt the one you are talking about bezz).

It comes in a narrow roll, around 150-200mm wide, so its easy to apply.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Flashtac huh, i'll check it out. i've seen a few cheapers deadners, but being self adhesive, their still pretty xpensive by the time you do say the whole boot. It's gonna be a long job either way, i post some pics up once i've started and let everyone know what i decide to use and how it goes..:thumbsup:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the worst thing with rubber backed carpet underlay is it sweats you should never use it on vehicles under the carpet or in the boot floor under you carpet against the steel floor or you will start rusting pretty quickly

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Another option which works fairly well is Flashtac, from your local bunnings or hardware store (hope this wasnt the one you are talking about bezz).

It comes in a narrow roll, around 150-200mm wide, so its easy to apply.

lol i was, from what i hear its thin and doesnt react well to the heat inside a car? Also messy to apply?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahh its not too bad to apply.....ive used it in my car behind the plastic interior panels and it has given me a small gain in SPL. Not too sure about reaction to heat, havent taken off the panels to look (might now though haha).

Edit: As far as inside the box goes.....MDF all the way ;)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Flashtac is OK on horizontal surfaces, but vertical surfaces that will get hot can be a problem. People have reported it sliding down their door skin because the adhesive/asphalt can't handle the heat. You would also want to use 2 or 3 layers as it doesn't have much mass to it.

Underlay isn't deadener... It's a sound absorber and if jammed between objects it will stop rattles.